Derive mgf bivariate normal distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of joint moment generating functions for bivariate normal distributions. It is suggested to expand the exponential in a power series and integrate it under the integral sign to get the solution for the mgf. The main challenge is deriving the moment generating function for the bivariate normal distribution.
Lewis7879
Does anyone know the proof of joint moment generating functions for bivariate normal distributions?
M_x,y (s,t)= E(e^(xs+yt))

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand the exponential in a power series. E(each term) is that moment.

Likes Lewis7879
mathman said:
I'm actually suppose to do it like
mathman said:
great idea
it is possible to do it this way ?
its a very long step.
M(s,t)= e(xs+yt) ∫∫ fXY (x,y) dxdy
= e(xs+yt) ∫∫ (1/(2π√(1-ρ2xσy)) exp [ [-1/2(1-ρ2)] [(x-μxx)2 + (y-μyy)2 - 2ρ(x-μxx)(y-μyy)}

Lewis7879 said:

great idea
it is possible to do it this way ?
its a very long step.
M(s,t)= e(xs+yt) ∫∫ fXY (x,y) dxdy
= e(xs+yt) ∫∫ (1/(2π√(1-ρ2xσy)) exp [ [-1/2(1-ρ2)] [(x-μxx)2 + (y-μyy)2 - 2ρ(x-μxx)(y-μyy)}
No. [itex]e^{(xs+yt)}[/itex] must be under the integral sign.

Likes Lewis7879
mathman said:
M(s,t)=
mathman said:
No. [itex]e^{(xs+yt)}[/itex] must be under the integral sign.
yes I know that but will I get the solution of mgf of bivariate normal distribution ? I'm stuck current trying to derive it.

Lewis7879 said:
M(s,t)=

yes I know that but will I get the solution of mgf of bivariate normal distribution ? I'm stuck current trying to derive it.
That will depend on what [itex]f_{XY}(x,y)[/itex] is. If it is bivariate normal, then you will get its moment generating function.

1. What is the bivariate normal distribution?

The bivariate normal distribution is a probability distribution that describes the joint distribution of two random variables. It is often used in statistical analysis to model the relationship between two continuous variables.

2. What is the mgf (moment generating function) of a bivariate normal distribution?

The moment generating function of a bivariate normal distribution is a mathematical function that allows us to calculate the moments of the distribution, such as the mean and variance. It is defined as the expected value of e^(tx), where t is a constant and x is a random variable.

3. How do you derive the mgf of a bivariate normal distribution?

The mgf of a bivariate normal distribution can be derived by using the definition of the moment generating function and the probability density function of the bivariate normal distribution. This involves integrating the probability density function over all possible values of the two random variables.

4. Why is the mgf important in the analysis of bivariate normal distributions?

The moment generating function is important because it allows us to calculate the moments of the bivariate normal distribution, which are useful in statistical analysis. It also helps us to calculate other important characteristics of the distribution, such as skewness and kurtosis.

5. Can the mgf of a bivariate normal distribution be used to find probabilities?

Yes, the mgf can be used to find probabilities for a bivariate normal distribution. By taking the inverse of the mgf, we can obtain the characteristic function, which can then be used to calculate probabilities for different values of the random variables.