Derive Special Relativity: Alternative Paths

In summary, the only way to derive special relativity is to start with the two postulates, derive the Lorentz transformations, and rewrite the laws of physics consistent with those transformations. Alternatives include beginning with the principle of relativity and deriving Galilean or Einsteinian relativity, or understanding light without a medium and assuming the wave equation of light is correct. If the speed of light is the same for all observers, special relativity is automatically derived.
user_12345
The only way I know of to derive special relativity is to start with the two postulates, derive the Lorentz transformations, and rewrite the laws of physics consistent with those transformations.
Are there alternative ways to derive special relativity?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
State the interval and assert it is invariant; deduce the transforms that make it so.

Start from the principle of relativity and derive Galilean or Einsteinian relativity. Assert that we don't live in a Galilean universe.

Likes user_12345
I found this colelction here on physicsforums.com from a suggestion from one of the respected members (can't remember who for credit, sadly), and I love this particular derivation because it derives a general case for transformation laws in an isotropic and homogeneous spacetime, and then you can select Galilean relativity or special relativity based upon whether you set a particular constant equal to 0 or 1.

https://www.mathpages.com/rr/s1-07/1-07.htmEDIT - regarding the source, all I can say is it's recommended by Fields Medal winner Timothy Gowers if that carries any weight, and as I said, someone here with one of those icons next to their name showed me this.

Last edited:
The reason why we need special relativity is, that wave equations are not invariant under galilean transformations. The reason for this is, that the veolcity of a wave is determined by the medium. That means that an observer with a relative speed to the medium v>0, simply observes the wave going at the wrong speed. So he cannot describe the wave correctly. Now, with a medium, one can always get away with saying that the medium is the relevant reference frame and that therefore we don't have to worry about galilean transformations.
With light, things are different, since light doesn't require a medium. Hence, either the wave equation of light is wrong or the galilean transformation.
c0202839-800px-wm.jpg

Since the partial derivatives are coefficients of a dual vector, the transformation that will leave this equation invariant, will be orthogonal with the metric of special relativity (due to the relative minus sign between the time and space components).
One can now simply generalize the galilean transformation, by putting variables in front of each term, and then use the chain rule of the partial derivatives to work out the Lorentz transformation.

Only the wave equation with velocity c is then invariant under the so found Lorentz transformation. All wave equation with speeds different to c are still not invariant. This means that the speed of light has to be the same for all observers, or otherwise we still wouldn't have an invariant description of light.

I hope this helps.

Likes vanhees71
Or in written form, hoping that I didn't make mistakes...

Attachments

• tmp.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 141

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. What is the significance of "alternative paths" in deriving special relativity?

The concept of alternative paths refers to the different ways in which special relativity can be derived. These alternative paths provide different perspectives and insights into the theory, helping to deepen our understanding of it.

3. How is special relativity derived using alternative paths?

One of the most well-known alternative paths to derive special relativity is through the thought experiment of the "train and platform" paradox. Other methods include using the Lorentz transformation equations and the concept of length contraction and time dilation.

4. What are the implications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many implications in the field of physics, including the famous equation E=mc², which relates mass and energy. It also explains the phenomenon of time dilation, where time moves slower for objects in motion, and length contraction, where objects appear shorter in the direction of motion.

5. Is special relativity still relevant today?

Yes, special relativity is still a fundamental theory in modern physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. It is used in many fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and GPS technology.