Derive the Analog of Gauss' law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
KT KIM
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
image.png

image.png


I am stuck with this (d) all the other (a),(b),(c) were just like
(a) E= −∇φ
(b) ∇ · E= −∇2φ
(c) ∇ × E

I know only very basic about Gauss' law, the problem is not from Electrodynamics course.
I don't know what should I do to solve (d)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss' law is:
[tex]\nabla \cdot E = \rho / \epsilon_0[/tex]
We also know that by definition, potential and electric field are related by
[tex]E = - \nabla \cdot \phi[/tex]
So we then have
[tex]-\nabla^2 \phi = \rho/\epsilon_0[/tex]

You know the form of phi, so you can just integrate over r from 0 to R to get the charge contained in the region. Since there's no angular dependence, 4pi comes out, and it's just a simple integral over r.
[tex]- 4\pi \epsilon_0 \int \limits_0^R (\nabla^2 \phi) r^2 dr = Q[/tex]

I'll let you work out the rest.