1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive the representation of the momentum acting on a field

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider the space-time transformation of translation

xμ → x'μ = xμ + aμ

where xμ is a point in space-time and aμis a constant 4-vector. Assuming translations are generated by the operator U=e-iPμaμ acting on fields Φ(x), derive the representation of Pμ on the field Φ(x).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From looking at it I would assume it would look something like i∂μΦ
    Though if this is the case I'm not entirely sure why.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2016 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

An abstract element of the translation group looks like ##\exp(-ia^{\mu}P_{\mu})##. When this acts on fields, ##P_{\mu}## indeed manifests itself as a derivative and we say the representation of the generator of translations on space time fields is a differential operator. To see this, start by shifting the space time point ##x'^{\mu} \rightarrow x^{\mu} + a^{\mu}##, where ##a^{\mu}## is an infinitesimal shift and look at the corresponding transformation of the field from ##\phi(x)## to ##\phi'(x)##.

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the reply. I think I almost have it, so under the infinitesimal transformation x'μ=xμ+aμ, we have δΦ(x)=Φ'(x)-Φ(x). Rearranging the first equation gives xμ=x'μ-aμ. so we can rewrite δΦ=Φ'(x-a)-Φ(x), expanding this out gives δΦ=-aμμΦ(x).

Now we also have Φ'(x)=e-iPμaμΦ(x), but I don't know what to do next. I've seen in a book that it should be Φ'(x'-a)=e-iPμ(-aμ)Φ'(x'), but I don't see how to get to this.

I'm sorry if I'm actually going in completely the wrong direction.

5. Apr 28, 2016 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

It's correct - given ##\phi'(x) = \exp(-i P_{\mu} a^{\mu}) \phi(x)##, expand the rhs for an infinitesimal shift ##a^{\mu}## and compare with your derivation of ##\delta \phi = \phi'(x)-\phi(x)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted