1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant derivative of vector fields on the sphere

1. May 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given two vector fields ##W_ρ## and ##U^ρ## on the sphere (with ρ = θ, φ), calculate ##D_v W_ρ## and ##D_v U^ρ##. As a small check, show that ##(D_v W_ρ)U^ρ + W_ρ(D_v U^ρ) = ∂_v(W_ρU^ρ)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##D_vW_ρ = ∂_vW_ρ - \Gamma_{vρ}^σ W_σ##
    ##D_vU^ρ = ∂_vU^ρ + \Gamma_{vσ}^ρ U^σ##

##\Gamma_{φφ}^θ = -sinθ~cosθ, ~~~~~\Gamma_{θφ}^φ = \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've calculated all the problem asked as

##D_θW_θ = ∂_θW_θ, ~~~~~~~ D_θW_φ = ∂_θW_φ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ##

##D_φW_θ = ∂_φW_θ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ, ~~~~~~~ D_φW_φ = ∂_φW_φ + sinθ~cosθ~W_θ##

##D_θU^θ = ∂_θU^θ, ~~~~~~~ D_θU^φ = ∂_θU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}U^φ##

##D_φU^θ = ∂_φU^θ - sinθ~cosθ~U^φ, ~~~~~~~ D_φU^φ = ∂_φU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}U^θ##

For the check,

##(D_θW_φ)U^φ + W_φ(D_θU^φ) = (∂_θW_φ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ)U^φ + W_φ(∂_θU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}U^φ)##

The second and the fourth term obviously cancels so it satisfies the equality.

I'm stuck here,

##(D_φW_θ)U^θ + W_θ(D_φU^θ) = (∂_φW_θ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ)U^θ + W_θ(∂_φU^θ - sinθ~cosθ~U^φ)##

The second and the fourth term do not cancel each other, also U and W doesn't match each others subscript/superscript. What I'm thinking is to transform either U or W so that the subscript/superscript will match but I'm not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The left hand side is not the complete expression that you want to look at. You need to write out the left side of ##(D_v W_ρ)U^ρ + W_ρ(D_v U^ρ) = ∂_v(W_ρU^ρ)##. Note the summation over the index ##\rho## while the index ##v## is held fixed.

4. May 24, 2016 #3
    What do you mean it is not complete? Do you mean, the right hand side? I forgot that it is a summation on ρ.

##(D_θW_θ)U^θ + (D_θW_φ)U^φ + W_θ(D_θU^θ) + W_φ(D_θU^φ) = ∂_θW_θU^θ + ∂_θW_φU^φ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φU^φ + W_θ∂_θU^θ + W_φ∂_θU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φU^φ##

It should be like this right? Then for the case where ##D_φ##, I can already see that the terms that I thought will not cancel, should already cancel.

5. May 25, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good.

6. May 25, 2016 #5
    Thanks for the reminder!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted