Covariant derivative of vector fields on the sphere

In summary: I completely forgot about the summation. So in summary, we first calculate ##D_v W_ρ## and ##D_v U^ρ## using the given equations, and then use the summation notation to show that the equality holds for both cases of ##D_θ## and ##D_φ##.
Whitehole

Homework Statement

Given two vector fields ##W_ρ## and ##U^ρ## on the sphere (with ρ = θ, φ), calculate ##D_v W_ρ## and ##D_v U^ρ##. As a small check, show that ##(D_v W_ρ)U^ρ + W_ρ(D_v U^ρ) = ∂_v(W_ρU^ρ)##

Homework Equations

##D_vW_ρ = ∂_vW_ρ - \Gamma_{vρ}^σ W_σ##
##D_vU^ρ = ∂_vU^ρ + \Gamma_{vσ}^ρ U^σ##

##\Gamma_{φφ}^θ = -sinθ~cosθ, ~~~~~\Gamma_{θφ}^φ = \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated all the problem asked as

##D_θW_θ = ∂_θW_θ, ~~~~~~~ D_θW_φ = ∂_θW_φ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ##

##D_φW_θ = ∂_φW_θ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ, ~~~~~~~ D_φW_φ = ∂_φW_φ + sinθ~cosθ~W_θ####D_θU^θ = ∂_θU^θ, ~~~~~~~ D_θU^φ = ∂_θU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}U^φ##

##D_φU^θ = ∂_φU^θ - sinθ~cosθ~U^φ, ~~~~~~~ D_φU^φ = ∂_φU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}U^θ##

For the check,

##(D_θW_φ)U^φ + W_φ(D_θU^φ) = (∂_θW_φ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ)U^φ + W_φ(∂_θU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}U^φ)##

The second and the fourth term obviously cancels so it satisfies the equality.

I'm stuck here,

##(D_φW_θ)U^θ + W_θ(D_φU^θ) = (∂_φW_θ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ)U^θ + W_θ(∂_φU^θ - sinθ~cosθ~U^φ)##

The second and the fourth term do not cancel each other, also U and W doesn't match each others subscript/superscript. What I'm thinking is to transform either U or W so that the subscript/superscript will match but I'm not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whitehole said:
For the check,

##(D_θW_φ)U^φ + W_φ(D_θU^φ) = (∂_θW_φ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φ)U^φ + W_φ(∂_θU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}U^φ)##
The left hand side is not the complete expression that you want to look at. You need to write out the left side of ##(D_v W_ρ)U^ρ + W_ρ(D_v U^ρ) = ∂_v(W_ρU^ρ)##. Note the summation over the index ##\rho## while the index ##v## is held fixed.

TSny said:
The left hand side is not the complete expression that you want to look at. You need to write out the left side of ##(D_v W_ρ)U^ρ + W_ρ(D_v U^ρ) = ∂_v(W_ρU^ρ)##. Note the summation over the index ##\rho## while the index ##v## is held fixed.
What do you mean it is not complete? Do you mean, the right hand side? I forgot that it is a summation on ρ.

##(D_θW_θ)U^θ + (D_θW_φ)U^φ + W_θ(D_θU^θ) + W_φ(D_θU^φ) = ∂_θW_θU^θ + ∂_θW_φU^φ - \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φU^φ + W_θ∂_θU^θ + W_φ∂_θU^φ + \frac{cosθ}{sinθ}W_φU^φ##

It should be like this right? Then for the case where ##D_φ##, I can already see that the terms that I thought will not cancel, should already cancel.

That looks good.

TSny said:
That looks good.
Thanks for the reminder!

1. What is a covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere?

The covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere is a way to measure the change in the vector field as you move along the surface of the sphere. It takes into account the curvature of the sphere and ensures that the vector field remains tangent to the surface at all points.

2. How is the covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere calculated?

The covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere is calculated using the Levi-Civita connection, which takes into account the metric of the sphere and the Christoffel symbols. These calculations can be quite complex and are often done using differential geometry techniques.

3. What is the physical significance of the covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere?

The covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere is important in understanding the behavior of vector fields on curved surfaces. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology to study phenomena on the Earth's surface.

4. Can the covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere be extended to other curved surfaces?

Yes, the concept of the covariant derivative can be extended to any curved surface, not just the sphere. It is a fundamental tool in differential geometry and is used to study various curved surfaces, such as the hyperbolic plane or the surface of a torus.

5. How does the covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere relate to the total derivative?

The covariant derivative of a vector field on the sphere can be thought of as a generalization of the total derivative in calculus. It takes into account the curvature of the sphere and ensures that the vector field remains tangent to the surface, whereas the total derivative only considers changes in the x and y directions.