1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving a trigonometric identity

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1
    For a homework assignment I'm supposed to prove that sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2=1, using only the following identities (along with algebraic operations):

I can't figure this out, because as far as I know the identity can only be derived from the Pythagorean Theorem.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, remember that identities such as

[tex]\cos (\theta + \varphi) = \cos \theta \cos \varphi - \sin \theta \sin \varphi[/tex]

are true no matter what the arguments are: you can plug anything you want in for [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex].
  4. Jun 8, 2007 #3
    I've tried this a few times, and I got nowhere. Is there a specific direction to go?
  5. Jun 8, 2007 #4

Gold Member

\cos (a \pm b) = \cos (a)\cos (b) \mp \sin (a)\sin (b)

try using some value for a and b that will make the left hand side equal 1.
  6. Jun 8, 2007 #5
    Thanks very much for everyone's help, I now understand this. cos(x + y) can be written as cos(x + -x), or cos(0).
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  7. Jun 9, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, I was thinking more along the lines of looking for an a and b that makes cos^2 and sin^2 appear on the r.h.s. Same thing either way. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?