Deriving an expression from geometry

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an expression for the displacement of light as a function of glass thickness and angles. The equation is given as a solution, but the individual is struggling with the geometry involved. Using Snell's law, they have found the expression for θ2 but need help finding the distance (d) between the original and displaced rays. Another individual offers assistance by pointing out the right triangles in the picture and asking about the relations between t, s, and θ2. The conversation ends with the individual thanking for the help.
Levi Tate

Homework Statement

I need to derive an expression for the displacement of light as a function of thickness of glass and the angles.

I will post a screen shot of the formula to be derived but it can also be found here

http://clas.wayne.edu/multimedia/usercontent/File/Physics%20and%20Astronomy/Labs/PHY5341/Lab4%20Brewsters%20Angle.pdf

(pg 3)

Homework Equations

The equation is given as the solution. I am not very good with geometry so I don't really even know where to begin.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Snell's law,

n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2

Solving for θ2 = Arcsin[(n1/n2)sinθ1]

So then I just have θ2.

Help, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
See attachment. You have to find the expression for the distance (d) between the original ray (1) and the displaced one (2). t is the thickness of the slab. There are two right triangles in the picture, with common hypotenuse (s ). Find s in terms of t and θ2, find d in terms of s and θ21. Eliminate θ2.

ehild

Attachments

• displacement.JPG
    displacement.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 421
Thanks a lot for your help mate. I tried this problem for about an hour and I'm completely stuck. I never went to high school to get that Euclidian intuition and I'm dyslexic so I don't have a good geometric intuition. I'm just stuck, I can't see the solution in sight.

But I thank you for your assistance very much.

Do you see the right triangles in the picture? What is the relation between t, s and θ2?

What is the angle of the blue triangle between side s and the hypotenuse?

ehild

Attachments

• displacement.JPG
    displacement.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 421

I understand the importance of being able to derive equations from basic principles and laws. In this case, we are looking to derive an expression for the displacement of light as a function of thickness of glass and angles.

To begin, we can start with the basic formula for refraction, Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sines of the angles of incidence and refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

Using this, we can derive an expression for the angle of refraction, θ2, in terms of the angle of incidence, θ1, and the refractive indices of the two media, n1 and n2. This is shown in your attempt at a solution above.

Next, we need to consider the geometry of the situation. In this case, we have a beam of light entering a glass slab at an angle θ1, and then exiting at an angle θ2. The thickness of the glass slab can be represented as d, and we can use basic trigonometry to relate this to the angles θ1 and θ2.

By drawing a diagram and using the relationships between angles and sides in a right triangle, we can see that the displacement of the beam of light, x, is equal to d times the tangent of the angle θ2. In other words, x = d*tan(θ2).

Now, we can substitute in our expression for θ2 from Snell's law and simplify to get the final expression:

x = d*tan[Arcsin[(n1/n2)sinθ1]]

This is the desired expression for the displacement of light as a function of thickness of glass and angles. I hope this helps and clarifies the steps involved in deriving this formula.

1. How do you derive an expression from geometry?

To derive an expression from geometry, you must use the principles and formulas of geometry to solve for a specific measurement or relationship between geometric figures. This involves using logical reasoning and mathematical calculations to determine the expression.

2. What is the purpose of deriving an expression from geometry?

The purpose of deriving an expression from geometry is to accurately describe and quantify a geometric relationship or measurement. This can help in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on geometric data.

3. What are some common methods for deriving an expression from geometry?

Some common methods for deriving an expression from geometry include using the Pythagorean theorem, using trigonometric functions, using properties of similar figures, and using the area and perimeter formulas for various shapes.

4. Can an expression derived from geometry be used in different contexts?

Yes, an expression derived from geometry can be used in different contexts as long as the same geometric principles and formulas are applicable. For example, the Pythagorean theorem can be used in various situations where right triangles are involved.

5. What are some tips for effectively deriving an expression from geometry?

Some tips for effectively deriving an expression from geometry include understanding the basic principles and formulas, carefully analyzing the given information, breaking down complex figures into simpler ones, and double-checking the calculations for accuracy.