1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving an expression from geometry

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to derive an expression for the displacement of light as a function of thickness of glass and the angles.

I will post a screen shot of the formula to be derived but it can also be found here

http://clas.wayne.edu/multimedia/usercontent/File/Physics%20and%20Astronomy/Labs/PHY5341/Lab4%20Brewsters%20Angle.pdf [Broken]

(pg 3)

2. Relevant equations

The equation is given as the solution. I am not very good with geometry so I don't really even know where to begin.

3. The attempt at a solution

Using Snell's law,

n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2

Solving for θ2 = Arcsin[(n1/n2)sinθ1]

So then I just have θ2.

Help, please?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See attachment. You have to find the expression for the distance (d) between the original ray (1) and the displaced one (2). t is the thickness of the slab. There are two right triangles in the picture, with common hypotenuse (s ). Find s in terms of t and θ2, find d in terms of s and θ21. Eliminate θ2.

ehild

Attached Files:

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot for your help mate. I tried this problem for about an hour and I'm completely stuck. I never went to high school to get that Euclidian intuition and I'm dyslexic so I don't have a good geometric intuition. I'm just stuck, I can't see the solution in sight.

But I thank you for your assistance very much.

5. Feb 18, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you see the right triangles in the picture? What is the relation between t, s and θ2?

What is the angle of the blue triangle between side s and the hypotenuse?

ehild

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook