1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving formula for surface velocity of a satellite in orbit.

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    I may be being stupid here... But I'm trying to derive such an equation to no avail.

Maybe such a formula requires more than one variable - but I would like to easily display this graphically.
    To start out the derivation I stated that the Surface Velocity = (2pi/T)-(v/r) where v/r=angular velocity of satellite in orbit and 2pi/T=angular velocity of a planet.

Can anyone help?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2
    Think I got it (in terms of time, not velocity):

2pi*sqrt((radius of planet+orbital altitude)^(3)/(GM))-rotationalperiodofplanet

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Oct 27, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can work out the angular velocities separately to begin with. You stated the one for the planet as ##2\pi/T##. Call that ##\omega_p##, and make sure that T is the sidereal period for the planet. For the satellite you again made a true statement, namely that the angular velocity is given by ##\omega_s = v/r##, with r the radius of the orbit and v the orbital speed.

Assuming a circular orbit the orbital speed will be ##v = \sqrt{GM/r}##, where M is the mass of the planet.

Assuming that the satellite's orbit is in the plane of the equator, the difference in angular velocities is then:
    $$\omega_p - \omega_s = \Delta \omega = \frac{2\pi}{T} - \frac{1}{r}\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}$$
    You can move the 1/r into the square root if you want.

With Δω in hand you can work out the surface speed of the sub-satellite point easily enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted