1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Formula of Kinetic Energy using f = ma

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am not fully sure where this is supposed to go, so forgive me if I get it wrong. I am just undertaking some private research and want to see if my work is correct. I wish to derive the Kinetic energy of something moving according to classical mechanics.

2. Relevant equations
    Energy = Force * Displacement (Or distance moved).
    Force = Mass * Acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly I substituted 'MA' into Energy = Mass * Acceleration * Displacement.
    Acceleration can be rewritten as Δv/Δt, and so I change my formula to be Energy = M * Δv/Δt * displacement. To find the Energy, in respect to the displacement we can make the integral ∫(M * Δv/Δt * Δd). I believe, that I can rewrite that as ∫(M * Δd/Δt * Δv), which is simply ∫(M * V * Δv). Once we solve that integral we should get the kinetic energy to be equal to E = (M * V^2)/2

(Please point out any errors or mistakes).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can write Δd=VΔt, so you integral is really ∫(M * V * Δv), which is equal to 1/2 M V2 + constant.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook