1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving input-output relationship

1. Jul 11, 2007 #1
    hi frenz

i want to how to derive mathematical relation between dependent(output) and independent(input) variables when i know the relation between them at few samples.
    cud someone help me out?
    thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

do you know anything about the functional form? even roughly how it should look? if not then there is no way to extrapolate from a few points to every point.

4. Jul 11, 2007 #3
    as i told , i know the relation between them at few samples. but i want to generalise as a mathematical relation between them

5. Jul 11, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As olgranpappy says, you can't in general... without at least having a guess to the general form. Given a finite number of samples, you can fit it to a polynomial of sufficiently high degree. However, that polynomial is probably not what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_fitting
    In addition, note the diagrams in
    http://slack.net/~ant/bl-synth/3.nyquist.html

6. Jul 12, 2007 #5
    thanks for ur response dear frenz............but let me clear my question again. I have a vector(x) and a vector(y) with the value of x at few points and corresponding value of y. I want to generalize the relation between them with that given samples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?