Deriving input-output relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of deriving a mathematical relation between dependent and independent variables when only a limited number of samples are available. It is emphasized that without knowledge of the general form of the relation, it is not possible to extrapolate from a few points to every point. One suggestion is to use curve fitting techniques, but it is noted that this may not provide the desired result. The conversation concludes with a request for help in generalizing the relation between two given vectors based on a limited number of samples.
jayki
hi frenz

i want to how to derive mathematical relation between dependent(output) and independent(input) variables when i know the relation between them at few samples.
cud someone help me out?
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know anything about the functional form? even roughly how it should look? if not then there is no way to extrapolate from a few points to every point.

olgranpappy said:
do you know anything about the functional form? even roughly how it should look? if not then there is no way to extrapolate from a few points to every point.

as i told , i know the relation between them at few samples. but i want to generalise as a mathematical relation between them

jayki said:
as i told , i know the relation between them at few samples. but i want to generalise as a mathematical relation between them

As olgranpappy says, you can't in general... without at least having a guess to the general form. Given a finite number of samples, you can fit it to a polynomial of sufficiently high degree. However, that polynomial is probably not what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_fitting
In addition, note the diagrams in
http://slack.net/~ant/bl-synth/3.nyquist.html

thanks for ur response dear frenz...but let me clear my question again. I have a vector(x) and a vector(y) with the value of x at few points and corresponding value of y. I want to generalize the relation between them with that given samples.

1. What is an input-output relationship?

An input-output relationship is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between a set of input variables and a set of output variables. It shows how the input variables affect the output variables and can be used to predict the output values for different input values.

2. How is an input-output relationship derived?

An input-output relationship can be derived through various methods such as regression analysis, correlation analysis, or mathematical modeling. These methods involve collecting data on the input and output variables and analyzing the relationship between them to find the best-fitting model.

3. What are the applications of deriving input-output relationships?

Deriving input-output relationships has many practical applications in fields such as economics, engineering, and social sciences. It can be used for forecasting, optimization, decision-making, and understanding complex systems.

4. What are the limitations of input-output relationships?

Input-output relationships are based on assumptions and simplifications, so they may not accurately represent real-world situations. They also rely on the quality and quantity of data collected, and any errors in the data can affect the accuracy of the relationship.

5. How can input-output relationships be improved?

To improve input-output relationships, it is important to collect high-quality and relevant data, use appropriate statistical methods, and consider all factors that may affect the relationship. It is also recommended to continuously test and validate the relationship to ensure its accuracy.