Temperature-Dependence of Viscosity of a Fluid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
bingbong08
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
What does the Andrade equation for relating viscosity and temperature actually show?
Hi all,

I was looking into how the temperature of a viscous fluid (glycerol, for instance) affects the terminal velocity of a sphere falling through and deriving a mathematical relationship. I know that the viscosity and terminal velocity can be related through Stoke's law, but had a bit of trouble with the temperature bit.

I found the following equation:
Screenshot 2025-05-01 at 5.09.13 PM.png

But couldn't find any info on what A and B actually are, apart from being 'fundamental constants'. What exactly are those constants, and how do I find their values for certain fluids? Or are I overcomplicating this, and shouldn't be using this equation at all for finding the temperature-dependence of terminal velocity?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org