Deriving the cooridinate numbers of both ions in rock salt

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
rastamanrm
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
How would I go about deriving the cooridinate numbers of both ions in rock salt, and,
how could I account for the differences in lattice enthalpy between the following;


LiCl (861 kJ/mole) - NaCl (787)
LiCl - LiF (1046)
LiCl - MgO (3850)

Cheers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rasta,

We can not help until you first show us what effort you have made. Please read the posting guidelines (see "Rules" on top of page).
 
Gokul43201 said:
rasta,

We can not help until you first show us what effort you have made. Please read the posting guidelines (see "Rules" on top of page).

Well I do know that a coordinate number is the number of atoms surrounding an atom in a solid state lattice

And for the second bit, I assume LiCl would have a larger lattice energy due to the greater difference in electronegativity of both consituents, similar with the next one. Not sure about the last one.