1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the critical radius of Uranium using diffusion equation

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have solved the equation for the neutron density as a function of position and time. I need the boundary conditions to change my infinite number of solutions (the varying seperation constant) into one value so that my answer for the critical radius does not contain a sum!

2. Relevant equations

del squared (n) - A(dn/dt) = -Bn (which i have solved)

3. The attempt at a solution

i assumed spherically symmetric solutions so using spherical polar coordinates n varies only (spatially) from the distance to the centre of the sphere. The r dependence is of form cos(kr)/r + sin(kr)/r. So the coefficients of cos term must all be 0 (as the density at the centre of any given sphere cannot be infinite). I thought that at the surface, the density is 0 as neutrons do not diffuse back into the sphere once they are out. Is this right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    maybe i should add a little more to this. The time dependence part of the neutron density is found to be exp(B-K)t where K=k*k (k is the seperation constant). now at the critical radius i know that the neutron density cannot be increasing or decreasing with time (it must be stable). So i reasoned that B-K = 0. If also we reason that the density of neutrons on the surface of a sphere R must be zero, then we have that sin(kR)=0 or kR=m*pi where m is an integer. So k=m*pi/R and subbing this to B-K=0, i have an expression for the critical radius in terms of B (which are the product of some intrinsic properties of uranium like mean free path etc). The only problem I have now is that the expression for R, the critical radius, contains m! so I have infinitely many expressions! How do I fix the value of m using the boundary conditions?! this is driving me insane..
  4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    Help Please!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?