Deriving the effective potential due to screening

In summary, the Lindhard dielectric function contributes to the effective potential of a metal in the form of U_{eff}(\vec{r}) \propto \frac{cos(2k_Fr)}{r^3} in the limit of r\rightarrow\infty for d = 3 dimensions. This is derived from the Lindhard dielectric function and the inverse Fourier transform of U_{eff}(\vec{k}). While attempting to solve the problem, the logarithm in the first derivative of the Taylor expansion was found to be divergent, but it is multiplied by 0 in the expression. The next step is to simplify and rewrite the last expression into a solvable form.
SkeZa

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to show that the Lindhard dielectric functions gives a contribution to the effective potential of a metals as

[tex]U_{eff}( \vec{r} )[/tex] [tex]\propto[/tex] [tex]\frac{cos( 2 k_{F}r)}{r^{3}}[/tex]

in the limit of [tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex] for d = 3 (3 dimensions)

Homework Equations

Lindhard dielectric function:
[tex]\epsilon(\vec{k},0) = 1 + \frac{\kappa^{2}_{TF}}{2k^{2}} ( 1 + \frac{1}{4k_{F}}\frac{4k^{2}_{F}-k^{2}}{2k}\ln \frac{2k_{F}+k}{2k_{F}-k}) = \epsilon(\vec{k}) [/tex]

[tex]U_{eff}[/tex]([tex]\vec{k}[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)}[/tex]

[tex]U(\vec{k}) = \frac{4 \pi e^{2}}{k^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]U_{eff}(\vec{r})[/tex] is the inverse (spatial) Fourier transform of [tex]U_{eff}(\vec{k})[/tex]

[tex]k_{F}[/tex] is the Fermi wavevector

[tex]\kappa^{2}_{TF}[/tex] is the Thomas-Fermi wavevector (constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to Taylor expand [tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon(\vec{k})}[/tex] around [tex]2k_{F}[/tex] but the first derivative contains the logarithm which is divergent. I tried this because one of my classmates recommended it.

I tried to perform the Fourier transform by
[tex] U_{eff}(\vec{r}) \propto \int d\vec{k} e^{i \vec{k}\bullet\vec{r}}\frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)} \propto \int k^{2} dk d(cos(\theta)) d\phi e^{i k r cos(\theta)}\frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)} \propto \int k^{2} dk \frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)} \frac{e^{ikr} - e^{-ikr}}{ikr} \propto \frac{1}{r}\int dk \frac{1}{k \epsilon(\vec{k})} sin(kr)[/tex]

This is kinda where I'm stuck.
How do I proceed from here?
Or am I supposed to have done something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
The logarithm diverges, but it is multiplied by 0 (for the first term in the Taylor expansion).

I know that.

The problem is how to simplify/rewrite that expression (the last one) into something solveable...

1. What is the concept of "effective potential" in the context of screening?

The effective potential due to screening is a concept used in physics and chemistry to describe the interaction between charged particles in a material. It takes into account the screening effect of the surrounding particles, which can reduce the strength of the electrostatic interaction between the charged particles.

2. How is the effective potential derived?

The effective potential is derived using the Debye-Hückel theory, which takes into account the presence of surrounding charged particles and their distribution. It involves solving a differential equation and applying boundary conditions to determine the effective potential at a given distance from a charged particle.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the effective potential?

The magnitude of the effective potential is affected by the charge and size of the particles involved, as well as the dielectric constant of the medium. It is also influenced by the distance between the particles, as the screening effect becomes stronger at closer distances.

4. What are the applications of the effective potential due to screening?

The concept of effective potential due to screening has applications in various fields, including solid-state physics, chemistry, and biochemistry. It is used to describe the behavior of charged particles in materials, such as in the study of electrolytes and ionic solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the effective potential due to screening?

Yes, the Debye-Hückel theory and the concept of effective potential due to screening have some limitations. It is based on certain assumptions, such as the particles being uniformly distributed and the medium being a perfect dielectric. It also does not account for the effects of quantum mechanics, which may be significant at very small distances.