1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Deriving the effective potential due to screening

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to show that the Lindhard dielectric functions gives a contribution to the effective potential of a metals as

[tex]U_{eff}( \vec{r} )[/tex] [tex]\propto[/tex] [tex]\frac{cos( 2 k_{F}r)}{r^{3}}[/tex]

in the limit of [tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex] for d = 3 (3 dimensions)
    2. Relevant equations

Lindhard dielectric function:
    [tex]\epsilon(\vec{k},0) = 1 + \frac{\kappa^{2}_{TF}}{2k^{2}} ( 1 + \frac{1}{4k_{F}}\frac{4k^{2}_{F}-k^{2}}{2k}\ln \frac{2k_{F}+k}{2k_{F}-k}) = \epsilon(\vec{k}) [/tex]

[tex]U_{eff}[/tex]([tex]\vec{k}[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)}[/tex]

[tex]U(\vec{k}) = \frac{4 \pi e^{2}}{k^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]U_{eff}(\vec{r})[/tex] is the inverse (spatial) Fourier transform of [tex]U_{eff}(\vec{k})[/tex]

[tex]k_{F}[/tex] is the Fermi wavevector

[tex]\kappa^{2}_{TF}[/tex] is the Thomas-Fermi wavevector (constant)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to Taylor expand [tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon(\vec{k})}[/tex] around [tex]2k_{F}[/tex] but the first derivative contains the logarithm which is divergent. I tried this because one of my classmates recommended it.

I tried to perform the Fourier transform by
    [tex] U_{eff}(\vec{r}) \propto \int d\vec{k} e^{i \vec{k}\bullet\vec{r}}\frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)} \propto \int k^{2} dk d(cos(\theta)) d\phi e^{i k r cos(\theta)}\frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)} \propto \int k^{2} dk \frac{U(\vec{k})}{\epsilon(\vec{k},0)} \frac{e^{ikr} - e^{-ikr}}{ikr} \propto \frac{1}{r}\int dk \frac{1}{k \epsilon(\vec{k})} sin(kr)[/tex]

This is kinda where I'm stuck.
    How do I proceed from here?
    Or am I supposed to have done something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    The logarithm diverges, but it is multiplied by 0 (for the first term in the Taylor expansion).

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    I know that.

The problem is how to simplify/rewrite that expression (the last one) into something solveable...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook