Deriving the gravitational constant factor for lbf

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of using the English Engineering System and understanding the concept of inconsistent units. The conversation also mentions the conversion factors needed and the difficulty in deriving them. It is suggested that the conversion factor can be found starting from SI units. Ultimately, it is concluded that the conversion factor for this system is the acceleration of gravity, which is why it is referred to as a "gravitational" system of units.
ankh
I have never had to use the English Engineering System so I am having a bit of a struggle here.

I understand the concept of an inconsistent system of units. I understand the following 2 statements:
1lbf = 1lbm x 32 ft/sec^2
1lbf = 1slug x 1 ft/sec^2

When given a problem that is asking for the force answer in lbf for an object that is being accelerated at something different than 32 ft/sec^2, i understand why i need to divide the answer by 32 to get the answer in lbf. However, i am stuck in trying to derive the units required for this conversion factor. I can follow why the conversion units are (lbm-ft/lbf-sec^2) once i cancel all the units, but I can not derive those units on my own for some reason. Can someone help out with the steps for figuring out the conversion units? How do you get to lbm-ft/lbf-sec^2 if it was my first time trying to discover a conversion factor?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an inconsistent set of units. I don't think that you can derive the conversion factor from first principles.

Likes ankh
You could do it starting from SI units if you know each of those conversion factors.

ankh said:
Can someone help out with the steps for figuring out the conversion units? How do you get to lbm-ft/lbf-sec^2 if it was my first time trying to discover a conversion factor?
For historical reasons, the conversion factor is the acceleration of gravity. That is why it is considered a "gravitational" system of units.

1. What is the gravitational constant factor for lbf?

The gravitational constant factor for lbf is a conversion factor that is used to convert between units of force, specifically between pounds-force (lbf) and newtons (N). It is denoted by the symbol "g" and has a value of approximately 32.17405 ft/s^2.

2. How is the gravitational constant factor for lbf derived?

The gravitational constant factor for lbf is derived using the equation F = mg, where F is the force in pounds-force, m is the mass in slugs, and g is the gravitational constant in ft/s^2. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for g and determine its value as approximately 32.17405 ft/s^2.

3. Why is the gravitational constant factor for lbf important?

The gravitational constant factor for lbf is important because it allows for the conversion between units of force used in different systems of measurement. It is commonly used in engineering and physics calculations, particularly in the United States where the pound-force is a commonly used unit of force.

4. How accurate is the gravitational constant factor for lbf?

The value of the gravitational constant factor for lbf is based on the approximation that 1 lbf is equal to 1 pound-mass times the acceleration due to gravity (32.17405 ft/s^2). While this value is accurate for most practical applications, it may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude on Earth.

5. Can the gravitational constant factor for lbf be used for all types of force?

The gravitational constant factor for lbf is specifically used for converting between units of force in the English system of measurement. It is not applicable for other types of force, such as electromagnetic force or nuclear force. For those types of force, different conversion factors would need to be used.