Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Deriving the gravitational constant factor for lbf

1. Sep 3, 2016 #1
    I have never had to use the English Engineering System so I am having a bit of a struggle here.

I understand the concept of an inconsistent system of units. I understand the following 2 statements:
    1lbf = 1lbm x 32 ft/sec^2
    1lbf = 1slug x 1 ft/sec^2

When given a problem that is asking for the force answer in lbf for an object that is being accelerated at something different than 32 ft/sec^2, i understand why i need to divide the answer by 32 to get the answer in lbf. However, i am stuck in trying to derive the units required for this conversion factor. I can follow why the conversion units are (lbm-ft/lbf-sec^2) once i cancel all the units, but I can not derive those units on my own for some reason. Can someone help out with the steps for figuring out the conversion units? How do you get to lbm-ft/lbf-sec^2 if it was my first time trying to discover a conversion factor?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

It is an inconsistent set of units. I don't think that you can derive the conversion factor from first principles.

4. Sep 3, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You could do it starting from SI units if you know each of those conversion factors.

5. Sep 3, 2016 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

For historical reasons, the conversion factor is the acceleration of gravity. That is why it is considered a "gravitational" system of units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted