Steam Turbine: Solve for Velocity

In summary, the steam turbine developed 2372.20 hp when its inlet condition is 1300 Btu/lb enthalpy and 400 ft/s velocity and steam flow of 200 Btu/min.
Paul Lasdivan

Homework Statement

Homework Statement [/B]
A steam turbine developed 2372.20 Hp when its inlet condition is 1300 Btu/lb enthalpy and 400 ft/s velocity and steam flow of 200 Btu/min :The exit enthalpy is 800 Btu/min. Find the exit velocity.

That is the original problem statement but i think the steam flow should be in lb/min.
The answer to the problem is 50 feet per second but no solution was provided.

Homework Equations

Energy process in turbine is mh1 + KEi = mh2 + KEf + W + Q , Heat is neglected so Q = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that steam flow isn't in Btu/min but in lb/min so I converted this to lb/sec to fit with the given velocity.
mh1 = (1300Btu/lb)(3.33lb/sec) = 4329 Btu/sec
KEi = 1/2(3.33lb/sec)(4002)(ft2/s2) = 266400(ft2lb/sec3)
Also since the exit enthalpy is given in Btu/min, I assumed this to be mh2
mh2 = 800Btu/min(1min/60sec) = 13.33Btu/sec
W = 2372.20Hp ((0.707Btu/sec)/Hp) = 1677.14 Btu/sec
1lbf = 32.2lbm-ft/sec so KE1 = 8273.29ft-lbf/sec = 10.63Btu/sec
Solving for KEf, KEf = 4329+10.63 - 13.33 -1677.14 = 2649.16btu/sec
I solved Vf by converting btu again to ft-lbf and then to ft-lbm from this but the answer is much greater than 50fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is solvable but it seems that the given problem answer is incorrect

Since no one has answered you just yet, I will do my best to help you. I'm thinking that the 800 Btu/min is wrong because enthalpy is a total amount of heat, and Btu/lb is heat per pound, it's a mass unit. But 800 Btu/min is a measure of the speed of heat loss. One is a total and one is a speed, it doesn't match up.

I would recalculate it with 800 Btu/lb and see if you get the right answer.

Likes Paul Lasdivan
Also, the steam flow should be 200 lb/ min .

Likes Paul Lasdivan
Got it by changing exit enthalpy to Btu/lb and of course steam flow to 200 lb/min :D Thank you for helping.

Likes verty

1. How does a steam turbine work?

A steam turbine works by converting the kinetic energy of steam into mechanical energy. The steam enters the turbine at a high pressure and high temperature, and as it passes through the turbine blades, it expands and loses pressure, causing the blades to rotate. The rotating blades are connected to a shaft which then drives a generator to produce electricity.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a steam turbine?

The velocity of a steam turbine is affected by the pressure and temperature of the steam, the size and shape of the turbine blades, and the design of the turbine itself. The type of steam used, whether it is saturated or superheated, also affects the velocity.

3. How is the velocity of a steam turbine calculated?

The velocity of a steam turbine can be calculated by dividing the mass flow rate of steam by the cross-sectional area of the turbine's nozzle or blades. This can be represented by the equation V = ṁ / A, where V is velocity, ṁ is mass flow rate, and A is cross-sectional area.

4. What are some common problems that can affect the velocity of a steam turbine?

Some common problems that can affect the velocity of a steam turbine include erosion or corrosion of the turbine blades, build-up of deposits on the blades, improper steam flow or pressure, and mechanical issues such as misalignment or imbalance.

5. How can the velocity of a steam turbine be optimized?

The velocity of a steam turbine can be optimized by carefully designing the turbine and its components, maintaining proper steam flow and pressure, and regularly inspecting and repairing any issues that may affect the turbine's performance. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to improve the efficiency and velocity of a steam turbine.