I Deriving the spherical volume element

I’m trying to derive the infinitesimal volume element in spherical coordinates. Obviously there are several ways to do this. The way I was attempting it was to start with the cartesian volume element, dxdydz, and transform it using

$$dxdydz = \left (\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}dr + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta }d\theta + \frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi }d\phi \right )\left ( \frac{\partial y}{\partial r}dr + \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta }d\theta + \frac{\partial y }{\partial \phi}d\phi \right )\left ( \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}dr + \frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta }d\theta + \frac{\partial z}{\partial \phi}d\phi \right )$$

Unfortunately, I can’t see how I will arrive at the correct expression, ##r^{2}sin\theta drd\theta d\phi ##.

For one reason, when completely expanded, I get terms with repeated differentials like ##dr^{3} ## that don’t cancel.

Why is my method of derivation invalid?

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
You are not looking at the volumes actually spanned by the basis vectors corresponding to the spherical coordinates. The volume element spanned by three vectors ##\vec a_i## is the triple product ##\vec a_1 \cdot (\vec a_2 \times \vec a_3)##. Hence, if you look at the volume of a small parallelepiped spanned by the coordinate lines with coordinate differences ##dy^i##, then this is given by
$$
dV = \frac{\partial \vec x}{\partial y^1} \cdot \left(\frac{\partial \vec x}{\partial y^2} \times \frac{\partial \vec x}{\partial y^3}\right) dy^1 dy^2 dy^3.
$$

Alternatively, the volume element can be seen as the wedge product between the differentials. You must then remember that the wedge product is completely anti-symmetric and therefore anything like ##dr\wedge dr = 0##.

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thanks for the help! Using a wedge between the terms in my original expression got me to the answer!

Last edited: