1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the square angular momentum in spherical coordinates

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to derive the square of the total angular momentum as shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum_operator#Angular_momentum_computations_in_spherical_coordinates

2. Relevant equations

The x,y, and z components of angular momentum are shown in the above link. I'm attempting to solve it by [tex]L^2=(L_x)^2 + (L_y)^2+(L_z)^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think my problem is that I do not know how to deal with those partial differential operators. How do you go about squaring that binomial term that has differential operators? I think that's what I need to know and I don't know what to google to look for it.

Thank you.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author

You just need the chain rule of partial differentiation and a use of spherical coordinates...No binomial formulae needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?