Describe how the grah of each of the following functions

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: For vertical stretch / compression, multipliy the step pattern 1,3,5 by whatever the a value is. As "2x" goes from a to b, x goes from a/2 to b/2- that's why there is "a horizontal compression by a factor of 1/2". As "(1/2)x" goes from a to b, x goes from 2a to 2b. To get "compression" in f(ax) you divide by a. If a= 2 then you divide by 2 which is the same as multiplying by 1/2. If a
Nelo

Homework Statement

>Describe how the grah of each of the following functions can be obtained from the graph y=f(x)

3f(2x)-6

Homework Equations

f(x)=a(x-h)k
y=f(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that its going to be a vertical stretch by a factor of 3, and a horizontal compression by a factor of 1/2 . But i have two questions, when its horizontal comrpession do i always turn it into a fraction? , and when its something like y=f(1/2x) -6 , what do i multiply the 1/2 by to get the actual value for the horizontal stretch?

Also, How do i graph it? Do I have to use a table of values, Always? inorder to get the points for the horizontal compression/stretch or is there an easier way?

Like with vertical stretch / compression you can multiply the step pattern 1,3,5 by whatever the a value is.

Physics news on Phys.org

As "2x" goes from a to b, x goes from a/2 to b/2- that's why there is "a horizontal compression by a factor of 1/2". As "(1/2)x" goes from a to b, x goes from 2a to 2b. To get "compression" in f(ax) you divide by a. If a= 2 then you divide by 2 which is the same as multiplying by 1/2. If a= 1/2 then you divide by 1/2 which is the same as multiplying by 2.

If, when you write "f(x)= a(x- h)k" both a and k are constants, then f is linear- the graph of y= f(x) is a straight line and so is the graph of y= 3f(2x)- 6. Since a line is determined by two points, just calculating y= 3f(2x)- 6 for two values of x gives two points and then just draw the line containing them.

More generally, if you know the graph of y= f(x), the graph of y= 3f(2x)- 6 is exactly the same except that it is, as you say, "stretched by 3" vertically, "compressed by a factor of 1/2" horizontally, and moved down 6.

so you still multiply by the step pattern of y=f(x) ? or you use a table of values and plug in whatever is needed from the translations of y=f(x)

Nelo said:
so you still multiply by the step pattern of y=f(x) ? or you use a table of values and plug in whatever is needed from the translations of y=f(x)
I have no idea what you mean by this. What "step pattern" are you talking about?

Step pattern of a parabola at y=x^2 is 1,3,5

Start at vertex, go out by one, go up by 1 and plot the point. From that point, you go out by 1 go up by 3, plot the point. then go out by one, go up by 5 and plot the point.. use symmetry to get the other side and that gives you y=x^2 of a porabola.

If you have something like y=4(x-2) +4

then the vertex is (2,4) , and since there is a vertical stretch you multiply the step pattern of, 1,3,5 by 4 , giving you, 4 ,12, 20, ... effectively... Start at the vertex of 2,2 . and go out by 1 and up by 4, plot the point, then go out by one up by 12, plot the point. and so forth, that is what I've learned as the step pattern for a parabola. when you have vertica lstretch you multiply by 4. Since now we're doing horizontal stretch I was wondering if you could relate the 1,3,5 step patern inorder to get the points on a horizontal stretch, cause I really don't get how to do it.

Does this method work then?

The Table of values for f(x) is always : -2 ,-1 , 0 , 1 , 2, 3, 4. With the corresponding y values of 0 2 4 3 2 1.

If there is a horizontal stretch of f(2x)
Then you need to use values for x that will equal -2 on the y=f(x) table.

Ie) If y=(2x) and if x = -1 then y = f(2*(-1)) = f(-2) = 0 for the you value on the f(2x) table.

Thereforemmaking the first point 0,0

Does this make any sense?

Or will y= f(x) values always be given?

1. What is the meaning of a function's graph?

A function's graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the input and output values of the function. It shows how the output values change as the input values change, and can also reveal important characteristics of the function such as its domain, range, and behavior at critical points.

2. How can I identify the type of function from its graph?

The shape and behavior of a function's graph can help identify its type. For example, a linear function will have a straight line graph, while a quadratic function will have a parabolic graph. Other types of functions, such as exponential or trigonometric functions, will have distinct characteristics that can be observed on their graphs.

3. Can a function's graph have more than one x-intercept?

Yes, a function's graph can have multiple x-intercepts, depending on its type and the values of its coefficients. For example, a quadratic function can have two x-intercepts, while a polynomial function of degree n can have up to n-1 x-intercepts.

4. How can I determine the maximum or minimum value of a function from its graph?

The maximum or minimum value of a function can be found at the highest or lowest point on its graph, respectively. This point is known as the vertex for quadratic functions, and can be found by using techniques such as completing the square or finding the axis of symmetry. For other types of functions, the maximum or minimum value can be found by analyzing the behavior of the graph at critical points.

5. Can the graph of a function be used to solve equations involving the function?

Yes, the graph of a function can be used to solve equations involving the function. By graphing the function and the equation on the same coordinate plane, the solutions to the equation can be found by finding the points of intersection between the two graphs. Additionally, graphing a function can also help visualize its solutions and make it easier to interpret the results.