Describe several situations in which an object is not in equilibrium

  • Thread starter Thread starter bobbyjoe14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
bobbyjoe14
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm having trouble understanding a question... I was hoping someone could help me with it. Here it is:

"Describe several situations in which an object is not in equilibrium, even though the net force on it is not zero."

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is worded oddly just to see if you are awake. If an object is not in equilibrium, what must be true about the net force on it?
 
Crap, actually I typed out the question wrong. It's supposed to say :

"Describe several situations in which an object is not in equilibrium, even though the net force on it is zero."
 
This version makes more sense. :smile:

Hint: Distinguish between translational and rotational equilibrium. You can have one without the other.