1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe the thermodynamic system of a wire.

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://i.imgur.com/2WKCR.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Potentially: L(final) = L[1 + tau/(YA) + alpha(T - To)]

3. The attempt at a solution

Frankly I have no idea where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is F?

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    Hi! In my opinion the answer is the following: the work done on the wire in order to stretch the wire of [itex]\delta l[/itex] is [itex]\delta W=t \delta l[/itex] where t is the tension of the wire (notice that \delta W is positive if [itex]\delta l[/itex] is positive, opposite behaviour with respect to the pressure and analogous behaviour with respect to the surface tension); indeed, one should reasonably make a positive work in order to stretch the wire; the first law of the thermodynamics in this situation is
    [itex]\delta U= T \delta S+ t \delta l[/itex]

Since F=U-TS (I mean with F the Helmoltz free energy) i obtain

[itex]\delta F=- S \delta T+ t \delta l[/itex]

and so

[itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial l}|_T=t[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}|_l=-S[/itex]

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you left out quite a few steps but it's right.

BTW my textbook uses "A" instead of "F" for the Helmholz function. And, if I may suggest, don't use t for temperature. Use T. t is almost always time.

6. Mar 28, 2012 #5
    t is the tension and T is the temperature :)

Anyway, can you tell me please what are the steps I left out? Thanks,
    Francesco

7. Mar 28, 2012 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, that got by me completely.

You gave an equation, whence did it come? How about starting from the 1st law?

8. Mar 28, 2012 #7
    I'm sorry, but I think that I don't understand: let me go into the details of the derivation, also covering well-known thermodynamics result; is the equation you are talking about
    [itex]\delta U=T\delta S+t\delta l[/itex] ?

If so, then I think that this is just the first law for the system we are talking about (with [itex]\delta[/itex] I mean an infinitesimal change; well, to be rigorous, an infinitesimal reversible change); for every thermodynamic system we are supposed to have a function of state U (the internal energy) and to be able to define an ordered work ([itex]t\delta l[/itex]) and a disordered work ([itex]T\delta S[/itex]); then, by definition, I define
    [itex]F=U-TS[/itex] and then
    [itex]\delta F=\delta U-(\delta T)S-T(\delta S)=-S\delta T+t\delta l [/itex].

Did I understand what you have asked or did you mean something else?

9. Mar 28, 2012 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\delta F=\delta U-(\delta T)S-T(\delta S)=-S\delta T+t\delta l [/itex].

Maybe I'm being picky but
    dU - SdT -TdS = -SdT + tdL was not obvious to me. Admittedly I did not identify 'orderd' and 'disorderd' work as tdL and TdS respectively. In fact I don't remember coming across those terms at all except that certainly they make sense, qualitatively at least.

You can do without that concept by
    dU = dQ + dW 1st law, dw > 0 here.
    dU = TdS + dW
    dW = tdL
    so dU = TdS + tdL
    dF = dU - TdS - SdT
    dF = TdS + tdL - TdS - SdT
    dF = tdL - SdT
    and the partials fall out as you indicated.

10. Mar 29, 2012 #9
    Hello.

dQ=TdS for every thermodynamic system that undergoes an infintesimal reversible transformation, as it is well known form basic thermodynamics.

dW>0 doesn't make sense by itself; you should specify if dl is greater or smaller than 0.

dW=tdl is analogous to -pdV in a usual gas system; if you want to build a simple (the simplest?) model where you can see this, you can imagine the wire as composed by N+1 very small masses disposed on a row, each distant d from the next ones. The fact that the wire has a tension t means that every particle A exerts on the next one B a force t in the direction B "with the arrow pointing from B to A". we want to stretch this wire of a length dl; then, we can move the particle identified by the integer n of the following length : dl((n-1)/N). You can now easily conclude.

take two generic functions f(x,y), g(x,y) (sufficiently regular): then, by some mathematical analysis course,
    [itex]d(f g)=g(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy)+f(\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}dy)[/itex]

then we obtain the wantedd result if x=S, y=T, f(S,T)=S, g(S,T)=T.

dU - SdT -TdS =TdS+tdl - SdT -TdS=-SdT + tdL

Best,
    Francesco

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook