Describing an object made by the intersection of 2 surfaces

In summary, the geometric objects represented by the systems of equations are a sphere and a "simple" plane. The intersection of these two objects will give us the circle. However, I am unable to guess the coordinates of the circle's center and radius. Any ideas?
EEristavi

Homework Statement

Describe and sketch the geometric objects represented by the
systems of equations

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 + z2 = 4
x + y + z = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I can sketch both objects:
1) sphere with center (0,0,0) and radius 2
2) "simple" plane with intersection points (on xyz plane): (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)

I see that their intersection will give us the circle.
However, I cant guess the center and the radius.

what I tried on this issue so far:
from eq. 2 -> z = 1 - (x +y) and put it in eq.1
we get (after few steps):
x2 + y2 + xy - x - y = 3/2
It's really hard to guess all the mentioned parameters, considering that it doesn't have the circle equation form: x2 + y2 = k (which is understandable, cause it on a "tilted" plane)

Any ideas, how to guess the mentioned variables, or change the equation into "better" form?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't see. Don't worry. One strategy (a 'Polya Principle) try solve a simpler related problem. E.g. here the 2-d version of this 3-d problem.

Likes SammyS
epenguin said:
E.g. here the 2-d version of this 3-d problem.

Couldn't get what you've said here

EEristavi said:
Couldn't get what you've said here

Instead of sphere and plane try first to solve it for circle and line, hopefully that will give you a guide. This is a fairly general strategy recommended by Polya in his short, cheap, useful, best selling book "How to solve it".

Last edited:
One way may be to rotate the plane so that it lies in the equator of the sphere, find its center and radius and then rotate back and finding the image of the center 8nder the inverse map. I think that should work.

Likes EEristavi
Slightly off-topic, but the thread title had me confused. you meant 'surfaces', wrote 'planes', for which the reply was 'straight line'...

Nik_2213 said:
Slightly off-topic, but the thread title had me confused. you meant 'surfaces', wrote 'planes', for which the reply was 'straight line'...

Maybe you're right. However, I think one can consider sphere surface as a plane

EEristavi said:
However, I think one can consider sphere surface as a plane
No. Plane is a surface, sphere is a surface, but sphere is not plane.
In Mathematics, plane is a flat or level surface that continues in all directions.

Likes EEristavi and Nik_2213
EEristavi said:

Homework Statement

Describe and sketch the geometric objects represented by the
systems of equationsI can sketch both objects:
1) sphere with center (0,0,0) and radius 2
2) "simple" plane with intersection points (on xyz plane): (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)

I see that their intersection will give us the circle.
However, I cant guess the center and the radius.Any ideas, how to guess the mentioned variables, or change the equation into "better" form?
You can find the radius and centre by simple Geometry. It is clear that the circle is in the x+y+z=1 plane, and its centre C is on the line (1,1,1), at the centre of the yellow triangle.
upload_2019-3-15_13-28-52.png

You can derive h, the distance of C from the origin O, and also the coordinates of C.
The plane extends to the big sphere of radius R=2 as shown. The blue line is the side view of the circle. What is r, the radius of the circle then?
upload_2019-3-15_13-32-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-15_13-28-52.png
    upload_2019-3-15_13-28-52.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 445
  • upload_2019-3-15_13-32-9.png
    upload_2019-3-15_13-32-9.png
    1 KB · Views: 429
Likes EEristavi, SammyS and Merlin3189
I had a bit of time to kill this morning, so here's a picture that shows what it looks like looking straight down from the first octant to the slanted plane. Only the part of the plane in the first octant is shown, and when the plane is extended it cuts the sphere in the red circle. The numbers I used to do the plots were gotten from ehild's suggestion.
intersection.jpg

I have edited to get a more accurate picture than previously posted.
Here's another shot with a different color scheme and an angle closer to the edge view of the plane:
intersection2.jpg

Attachments

• intersection.jpg
    intersection.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 395
  • intersection2.jpg
    intersection2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Likes EEristavi, SammyS and ehild
LCKurtz said:
Here's another shot with a different color scheme and an angle closer to the edge view of the plane:
View attachment 240335
Very suggestive picture!

Likes SammyS
LCKurtz said:
I had a bit of time to kill this morning, so here's a picture that shows what it looks like looking straight down from the first octant to the slanted plane. Only the part of the plane in the first octant is shown, and when the plane is extended it cuts the sphere in the red circle. The numbers I used to do the plots were gotten from ehild's suggestion.
[ ATTACH=full]240309[/ATTACH]
[ ATTACH=full]240335[/ATTACH]
Wow !

Those are helpful images, as @ehild said. I especially like the second one - which you added a little later.

@LCKurtz , I know you've been asked this some time ago, but what application/program/utility do you use to make such wonderful graphics?

SammyS said:
Wow !

Those are helpful images, as @ehild said. I especially like the second one - which you added a little later.

@LCKurtz , I know you've been asked this some time ago, but what application/program/utility do you use to make such wonderful graphics?
I use Maple 13, which is probably an old version by now.

Sorry if I missed something, but is the question about showing that the intersection is a circle, of providing the coordinates of the figure that results from the intersection?

WWGD said:
Sorry if I missed something, but is the question about showing that the intersection is a circle, of providing the coordinates of the figure that results from the intersection?
The OP claims the intersection is a circle, but he/she does not know how to get the center and the radius.

I'm guessing the OP figured out the answers he needed using ehild's hints, which is likely why he hasn't returned. The rest of us are just noodling around here. :oldsmile:

LCKurtz said:
I use Maple 13, which is probably an old version by now.
Thanks.

Thanks Everyone, Really nice pictures!

1. What is the definition of an object made by the intersection of 2 surfaces?

An object made by the intersection of 2 surfaces is a three-dimensional shape created by the intersection of two flat surfaces. This can result in a variety of shapes, such as a cone, pyramid, or prism.

2. How is an object made by the intersection of 2 surfaces different from a regular 3D object?

An object made by the intersection of 2 surfaces differs from a regular 3D object in that it is created by the intersection of two distinct surfaces, rather than being a solid shape with uniform sides and angles.

3. What are some examples of objects made by the intersection of 2 surfaces?

Some common examples include a square pyramid, a triangular prism, and a cone. These shapes are created by the intersection of two flat surfaces at specific angles and can be found in everyday objects such as buildings and packaging.

4. How can we calculate the volume of an object made by the intersection of 2 surfaces?

The volume of an object made by the intersection of 2 surfaces can be calculated by finding the area of the two intersecting surfaces and multiplying it by the distance between them. This can be done using various mathematical formulas depending on the specific shape of the object.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding objects made by the intersection of 2 surfaces?

Understanding objects made by the intersection of 2 surfaces is important in fields such as architecture, engineering, and design. It allows for the creation of complex and efficient structures, as well as the ability to accurately calculate volumes and dimensions of various objects.