Parametric Curve from the intersection of 2 surfaces

In summary, the given curve lies on the intersection of a sphere and two elliptic cylinders. By parameterizing the curve, it can be shown that it satisfies the equations of both the sphere and the cylinders. The curve can also be reparametrized with respect to arc length by taking the integral of the tangent vector. This can be done by using the lower limit of pi/2 and the upper limit of t. By intuition, x^2+2y^2=1 and x^2+2z^2=1 can be derived from the given equations, representing the elliptical cylinders in 3D.
heckald

Homework Statement

Prove that the curve [tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t) = <cost,sint/sqrt(2), sint/sqrt(2)> is at the intersection of a sphere and two elliptic cylinders. Reparametrize the curve with respect to arc length measured from
(0, 1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2)) in the direction of increasing t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x=cost
y=sint/sqrt(2)
z=sint/sqrt(2)

x^2+y^2+z^2=1
cost^2+sint^2/2+sint^2/2=1

does that show it is in the sphere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi heckald! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
heckald said:
x=cost
y=sint/sqrt(2)
z=sint/sqrt(2)

x^2+y^2+z^2=1

yup! :biggrin:

okay so that proves it is within a sphere.

since z is equal to y would saying
cos2t+sin2t/√2=1 show that it is in a cylinder?

with a plane its a bit easier because z can be expressed with x and y. but spheres and cylinders are confusing.

heckald said:

with a plane its a bit easier because z can be expressed with x and y. but spheres and cylinders are confusing.

By intuition i got
x2+2y2=1 and x2+2z2=1
since this seems to work out. however, i have no idea how to jump from the x,y,z to these equations.

heckald said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the curve [tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t) = <cost,sint/sqrt(2), sint/sqrt(2)> is at the intersection of a sphere and two elliptic cylinders. Reparametrize the curve with respect to arc length measured from
(0, 1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2)) in the direction of increasing t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x=cost
y=sint/sqrt(2)
z=sint/sqrt(2)

x^2+y^2+z^2=1

I would order the statements differently. Instead of immediately writing [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex], which is what you want to prove, start with

[tex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= (cos(t))^2+ (sin(t)/\sqrt(2))^2+ (sin(t)/\sqrt(2))^2[/tex]
[tex]= cos^2(t)+ sin^2(t)/2+ sin^2(t)/2= cos^2(t)+ sin^2(t)= 1[/tex]

thus proving that this parameterization gives [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex], the equation of a sphere. The curve satisfies the equation of the sphere and so lies on the sphere.

heckald said:

Since y= z, you can write it as [itex]x^2+ y^2+ y^2= x^2+ 2y^2= 1[/itex] which is a relation in only x and y. Since z can be anything for fixed x and y, this is a cylinder (strictly, it is an elliptical cylinder, not a circular cylinder). The curve satisfies the equation of a cylinder and so lies on the cylinder.

But you still haven't got the parameterization in arclength. Remember that the arc length is given by [itex]\int |\vec{T}|dt[/itex] where [itex]\vec{T}[/itex] is the tagent vector at each point
[tex]= \int \sqrt{(dx/dt)^2+ (dy/dt)^2+ (dz/dt)^2}dt[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{\pi/2}^t \sqrt{sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)/2+ cos^2(t)/2}dt= \int_{\pi/2}^tdt= \int_{\pi/2}^t dt[/tex]

(I chose the lower limit to be [itex]\pi/2[/itex] because [itex]cos(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] and [itex]sin(\pi/2)/2= 1/2[/itex].)

Last edited by a moderator:
heckald said:
heckald said:
By intuition i got
x2+2y2=1 and x2+2z2=1
since this seems to work out. however, i have no idea how to jump from the x,y,z to these equations.

i don't understand what's bothering you about this :confused:

in 2D, x2+2y2=1 is an ellipse,

so in 3D x2+2y2=1 is an elliptical cylinder (the same 2D cross-section for all z)

similarly in 3D x2+2z2=1 is an elliptical cylinder …

that's it! :smile:

Thanks for the help i think i understand it now. Now i just need practice. Too bad my final is today lol.

thanks again.

1. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve in a coordinate system, where the position of a point on the curve is described by one or more parameters. These parameters can be changed to trace out the entire curve, allowing for a more flexible and precise representation of the curve.

2. How is a parametric curve created from the intersection of two surfaces?

A parametric curve can be created from the intersection of two surfaces by using the equations of the surfaces and setting them equal to each other. The resulting equation will be a parametric equation, with one or more parameters representing the coordinates of points on the curve.

3. What information can be obtained from a parametric curve?

A parametric curve contains information about the shape, direction, and position of the curve. It can also provide information about the curvature, tangents, and length of the curve.

4. How is a parametric curve useful in scientific research?

A parametric curve is useful in scientific research because it allows for a more precise and flexible representation of curves, which can be used to analyze and model real-world phenomena. It can also be used to solve complex mathematical problems and equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of parametric curves from the intersection of two surfaces?

Some real-world applications of parametric curves from the intersection of two surfaces include computer graphics, engineering design, and physics simulations. They can also be used in fields such as architecture, medicine, and geology to analyze and model various structures and phenomena.