Vector parameterization of intersection of 2 surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector parameterization for the intersection of two surfaces in R3, x2+y4+2z3=6 and x=y2. The attempt at a solution involved letting x and y equal t and solving for z, but the resulting solution was incorrect. It was suggested to try letting y=t instead and solving for x. The correct answer is <t2,t,cube rt(3-t4)>, indicating that the second surface is x=y^2.
musicmar

Homework Statement

Find a vector parameterization of the intersection of the surfaces x2+y4+2z3=6 and x=y2 in R3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I let x=t.
Then y3=t

I solved the first equation for z in terms of x
z = cube root ((t2+(t(cube rt(t)) - 6)/-2)

I know this is wrong because I checked the back of the book, but I'm not sure how to do it correctly.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
musicmar said:
I let x=t.
Then y3=t

Is your 2nd surface [itex]x=y^2[/itex] or [itex]x=y^3[/itex]?

In either case, to avoid taking sqare roots and cube roots of stuff, try letting [itex]y=t[/itex] instead and solving for x.

x=y3, sorry.

So, when y=t, x=t3
and z= cube rt ((-1/2)(t6+t4-6))

This is still wrong. The answer is <t2,t,cube rt(3-t4)>
It doesn't help that I know the answer unless I know how to do it, though.

musicmar said:
x=y3, sorry.

So, when y=t, x=t3
and z= cube rt ((-1/2)(t6+t4-6))

This is still wrong. The answer is <t2,t,cube rt(3-t4)>
It doesn't help that I know the answer unless I know how to do it, though.

Judging from the answer, it looks as though the 2nd surface is supposed to be [itex]x=y^2[/itex], so I'd double check the question if I were you.

thank you. you were right, it was x=y^2.

1. What is the purpose of vector parameterization in finding the intersection of two surfaces?

Vector parameterization allows us to represent the intersection of two surfaces in a mathematical form, making it easier to calculate and analyze.

2. How is vector parameterization used to find the intersection of two surfaces?

Vector parameterization involves assigning variables to the coordinates of the intersection point and expressing the coordinates as functions of these variables. These functions can then be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables and thus the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. Can vector parameterization be used for any type of surface?

Yes, vector parameterization can be used for any type of surface as long as it can be represented in a mathematical form. This includes planar surfaces, curved surfaces, and even surfaces in three-dimensional space.

4. Are there any limitations to using vector parameterization for finding the intersection of two surfaces?

There are some limitations to using vector parameterization, such as when the surfaces are not smooth or when the intersection point is at a singular point. In these cases, alternative methods may be needed to find the intersection.

5. How does vector parameterization help in visualizing the intersection of two surfaces?

Vector parameterization provides a mathematical representation of the intersection point, which can be graphed to visualize the intersection of the two surfaces. This can help in understanding the nature and behavior of the intersection.