Describing Biholomorphic Self Maps of Punctured Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the description and generalization of biholomorphic self maps of the multiply puncture plane, where the plane has n points taken away. The result for conformal self maps is also mentioned, along with the difference between these two types of maps. The concept of removable singularities is brought up, as well as the need to map the sphere to itself in order to permute the puncture points and infinity. Finally, it is suggested that the full symmetric group on n letters may be the automorphism group.
esisk
how do we describe the biholomorphic self maps of the multiply puncture plane onto itself?
I mean C\{pi,p2,p3..pn}

Plane with n points taken away.

I wanted to generailze the result for the conformal self maps of the punctured plane, but I do feel these are quite different animals.
I thank you for any help/suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
The singularities (and infinity) are removable. So you need to map the sphere to itself (az+b)/(cz+d) in such a way that you permute the points [itex]\{p_1,\dots,p_n,\infty\}[/itex].

Last edited:
I thank you edgar,

I think I see it now. So I suspect we get the full symmetric group on n letters then, as the automorphism group. Thank you again

Related to Describing Biholomorphic Self Maps of Punctured Plane

1. What is conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping is a technique used in mathematics and physics to transform one complex function into another while preserving the angles between curves. It is often used to map a complex region onto a simpler, more easily understood shape.

2. What are the applications of conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to solve problems involving fluid flow, heat transfer, electromagnetic fields, and more. It is also used in the design of computer graphics and in the study of fractals and chaotic systems.

3. How is conformal mapping different from other types of mapping?

Unlike other types of mapping, conformal mapping preserves the angles and shapes of curves, making it useful for studying geometric properties of complex regions. It also preserves the orientation of curves, which is important in applications such as fluid flow and electromagnetics.

4. What are some common examples of conformal maps?

Some common examples of conformal maps include the stereographic projection, which maps the surface of a sphere onto a plane, and the Mercator projection, which maps the surface of a sphere onto a cylinder. Other examples include the logarithmic map and the exponential map.

5. What are the limitations of conformal mapping?

While conformal mapping is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used to map a region onto a shape with a different number of holes or branches. It also cannot be used to map a region onto a shape with a boundary that is not smooth or continuous. Additionally, conformal maps may not always be unique, and some regions may not have a conformal mapping at all.