Conformal mappings on the complex plane

You don't seem to be understanding me or the problem. I am not going to give you any more help. This is the last reply from me. Good luck.In summary, the conversation discusses using the conformal mapping w=cosh(z) to find a rectangle R in the z-plane that maps to a region in the w-plane with specific boundary conditions. The first set of boundaries is a plate of constant temperature on a line segment with u values ranging from -1 to 1 and v=0. The second set of boundaries is an outer boundary of cooler constant temperature given by an ellipse with u values ranging from cosh(0) to cosh(1) and v values ranging from sinh(0) to sinh(1
Gray

Homework Statement

a) Using the conformal mapping w=cosh(z), find a rectangle R in the z-plane which maps to the region in the w-plane with boundaries as follows:

- a plate of constant temperature on the line segment {w=u+iv : -1<u<1, v=0}
- an outer boundary of cooler constant temperature given by the ellipse u^2/cosh^2(1) + v^2/sinh^2(1) = 1

b) The elliptical surface is at temperature 0 and the line segment is at tempertaure 1. Choose a complex function g, defined on R, such that the real part of g(inv_cosh(w)_ defines a temperature with appropriate boundary conditions in the w-plane.

Homework Equations

z=x+iy
cosh(z) = (e^z+e^-z)/2 = ... = cosh(x)cos(y) + i*sinh(x)sin(y)
general equations for ellipse and hyperbola

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I drew the plate and outer boundary.
To map into a rectangle in the z-plane I first recognise that hyperbolae transform to horizontal lines through w=cosh(z) and similarly ellipses transform to vertical lines.
With this in mind I can recognise that the 'plate' is simply a hyperbolae with v=0.
So for the plate
v=sinh(x)sin(y)=0
u=cosh(x)cos(y)=-1...1

sin(y) is not = 0 because then cos(y)=1 and hence cosh(x)=-1...1
Therefore sinh(x)=0
x=0

u=cosh(0)cos(y)=-1...1
y=inv_cos(-1...1)
=0...Pi

So we have mapped the plate to z=y, 0<y<Pi
But my problem here is this is sinusoidal so really n*Pi, i.e. an infinite line?
Also to make my rectangle R of boundary conditions won't I need two horizontal lines? Are these y=0 and y=Pi?

Anyway my attempt on transforming the ellipse to two vertical lines is similar:
cosh^2(1)=2.381
sinh^2(1)=1.381

u^2/2.381 + v^2/1.381 = 1
cosh^2(x)cos^2(y)/2.381 + sinh^2(x)sin^2(y)/1.381 = 1

Presumably y=0 but only because I know a priori that it should map to vertical lines

Anyway... cosh^2(x) = 2.381
x=inv_cosh(+-1.543)
=~2.5
only 1 value :(

I think my methods are wrong but don't know what else to do. (I tried starting the map from the other direction, i.e. from lines to ellipses/hyperbolae but got confused with the multiple values).
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have that cosh(z) defines the conformal mapping u=cosh(x)cos(y), v=sinh(x)sin(y). Compare this to the parametric form for an ellipse centered at the origin with semimajor axes r_u and r_v. u=r_u*cos(t), v=r_v*sin(t) for t=0 to 2pi. There aren't any hyperbolae in the problem at all. All you have to do is figure out the correct x and y intervals defining the rectangle.

So I set the two forms equal and eliminate y to obtain
1 = (r_u*cos(t)/cosh(x))^2 + (r_v*sin(t)/sinh(x))^2

where I know r_u=cosh(1) and r_v=sinh(1) looking at my specific ellipse

and somehow solve this to get my two values for x?

I would say r_u=cosh(x) and r_v=sinh(x) and y=t. Can you figure out the x and y ranges of the rectangle now? You want r_u to go from 1 to cosh(1) and r_v to go from 0 to sinh(1). The suggestion w=cosh(z) basically gave you everything. You just have to extract the boundaries of the rectangle from it.

Why from 1 to cosh(1)?
Is it because we want the gap between the plate and boundary to form our rectangle boundaries?

Because the ellipse starts with a u semimajor axis of 1 and ends with a semimajor axis of cosh(1). Draw a picture! That's cosh(0) to cosh(1).

We have
u=cosh(x)cos(y)
v=sinh(x)sin(y)

and we want u to vary from 1 to cosh(1) and v to vary from o to sinh(1)

so I want to solve the four equations
cosh(x)cos(y)=1
sinh(x)sin(y)=cosh(1)
cosh(x)cos(y)=0
sinh(x)sin(y)=sinh(1)
to get my four boundary lines to the rectangle?

I think I am making this too complicated!

You ARE making this way too complicated! cosh(x) and sinh(x) are the semimajor and semiminor axes of the ellipse. You want the semimajor axis to go from cosh(0) to cosh(1) and the semiminor to go from sinh(0) to sinh(1). Why don't you just take x to go from 0 to 1? I've been trying to avoid actually telling you that but there seems to be no choice. The x range of your rectangle is [0,1]. Now you really have to do the y range on your own. And I'm serious this time. It's EASY.

1. What is a conformal mapping?

A conformal mapping is a type of function that preserves angles between curves. In other words, it maintains the same shape and size of objects when they are transformed from one coordinate system to another.

2. What is the importance of conformal mappings in mathematics and science?

Conformal mappings are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to study complicated shapes and transformations in a simpler and more structured way. They also have many practical applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electrical engineering, and computer graphics.

3. How are conformal mappings related to complex numbers?

Conformal mappings are closely related to complex numbers because they are functions on the complex plane. Complex numbers are used to represent points on the plane, and conformal mappings can be defined as functions that preserve the properties of these points, such as angles and distances.

4. What are some common examples of conformal mappings?

Some common examples of conformal mappings include rotations, translations, and dilations. Other examples include the stereographic projection, which maps the surface of a sphere to a plane, and the logarithmic mapping, which transforms circles into straight lines.

5. How are conformal mappings used in practical applications?

Conformal mappings are used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, where they are used to transform complex circuit layouts into simpler, more manageable forms. They are also used in fluid dynamics to study the behavior of fluids around objects, and in computer graphics to create realistic 3D images by mapping 2D textures onto 3D surfaces.