Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my understanding of EM field quantization correct?

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    Essentially how I understand it is, (this is for the quantization of an EM field in vaccum)
    -Fields become operators, a specific E operator will contain the number and multiple of rising and lowering operators needed to raise a vaccum state into the desired quantum state
    -The electromagnetic field is a superposition of monochromatic states, corresponding to a superposition of monochromatic waves in the classical theory

However my question is, where do the uncertainties and probabilities come in? If I have a photon state in two frequencies, does that mean the field has a fifty-fifty chance of being in either frequency? I think this must be wrong because if it were true, then all fields would be monochromatic when measured.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you measure photon frequencies with arbitrary precision, you will always get a single value for each measured photon. Real radiation is always a superposition within some frequency range, and a measurement will give some single value. Note that this depends a bit on your favorite interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook