Design diy ceiling mount for heavy cabinet

• Construction
  • Thread starter Alt-Bringer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Diy
In summary, the conversation is about hanging a cabinet off an I-beam in the basement using a ceiling mount with the ability to move up and down. The cabinet is a repurposed window and will need a metal frame for support. The weight of the cabinet is expected to be less than 150lb, and the person is looking for the most cost-effective solution. They do not have a large budget and are seeking advice on the necessary parts and potential costs.
Alt-Bringer
im wanting to hang a cabinet off an I-beam (steel) in my basement
looking at something like this http://www.standsandmounts.com/ioni...gedextendingceilingmount-luna-ceiling102.aspx
function wise, but also want an up/down (range of 2-3ft, from touching ceiling to droping 3ft)

the cabinet itself is a repurposed deep well window, and I am sure ill need to
make a metal frame for it to set into for support and mounting
i expect it to weight less than 150lb when loaded, but i never weighed the window
so id like to get as much weight support for the dollar i can

but i don't have 100$s just lying about to throw at this project

please help me figure out what parts id need and projected budget

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheapest would be a rope, pulley and counter weight system.

Thread closed for Moderation...

@Alt-Bringer please stop posting asking for advice on DIY electrical and mechanical projects where you should be getting in-person help from experienced folks. This thread will remain closed.

1. How much weight can a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet hold?

The weight limit of a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet will depend on the types of materials used and the strength of the ceiling itself. It is important to carefully consider the weight of the cabinet as well as the weight capacity of the materials used in the mount.

2. What materials do I need to make a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet?

The materials needed for a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet will vary depending on the specific design and weight requirements. However, common materials used include heavy-duty metal brackets, sturdy chains or ropes, and strong anchors for attaching to the ceiling.

3. How do I determine the right height for a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet?

The height of a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet should be determined by the height of the ceiling and the desired height of the cabinet. It is important to leave enough clearance for the cabinet to open and close without hitting the ceiling. Additionally, the mount should be installed at a height that is comfortable for the user to reach and access the cabinet.

4. Is it safe to install a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet?

The safety of a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet will depend on the proper installation and use of appropriate materials. It is important to carefully follow instructions and use strong materials to ensure the mount can safely hold the weight of the cabinet. It may also be helpful to consult a professional or do thorough research before beginning the project.

5. Can a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet be easily removed if needed?

The ease of removing a DIY ceiling mount for a heavy cabinet will depend on the type of mount used and the materials used for installation. In general, it is recommended to use strong and secure materials to ensure the mount can safely support the weight of the cabinet. This may make it more difficult to remove, but it is important for the safety and stability of the cabinet.