Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design -- horizontal I-beam with center loading...

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    I have an i-beam placed horizontally and i want to apply 1 ton point load on its center. Now i will run a stress analysis on ansys on it and will get the displacement in the beam on the mentioned load. How will i know tht the displacement value i am getting is good or bad?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    Yes it is. But i am asking tht when i find the deflection. How would i know that the deflection value is good or bad?

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

If your simulation result agrees with an analytic solution then it's good.

6. Jul 21, 2016 #5
    Thts alrite. I find deflection analytically and thru ansys and both values validate eachother. But tht wud not be the measure tht specific amount of deflection is good for the beam or not ?

7. Jul 21, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I beams are generally used in applications where only very small deflections are acceptable .

0.33% of beam length between supports is a commonly used limit for general engineering .

There are code requirements for maximum deflection of beams used in structural engineering .

Really though it is a matter of engineering judgement - what deflection is acceptable for your application ?

In any case I strongly advise you to get a qualified engineer to validate your design .

8. Jul 21, 2016 #7
    “0.33 % of beam length”.can you please tell me the source of this info?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted