1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design -- horizontal I-beam with center loading...

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    I have an i-beam placed horizontally and i want to apply 1 ton point load on its center. Now i will run a stress analysis on ansys on it and will get the displacement in the beam on the mentioned load. How will i know tht the displacement value i am getting is good or bad?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    Yes it is. But i am asking tht when i find the deflection. How would i know that the deflection value is good or bad?

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

If your simulation result agrees with an analytic solution then it's good.

6. Jul 21, 2016 #5
    Thts alrite. I find deflection analytically and thru ansys and both values validate eachother. But tht wud not be the measure tht specific amount of deflection is good for the beam or not ?

7. Jul 21, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I beams are generally used in applications where only very small deflections are acceptable .

0.33% of beam length between supports is a commonly used limit for general engineering .

There are code requirements for maximum deflection of beams used in structural engineering .

Really though it is a matter of engineering judgement - what deflection is acceptable for your application ?

In any case I strongly advise you to get a qualified engineer to validate your design .

8. Jul 21, 2016 #7
    “0.33 % of beam length”.can you please tell me the source of this info?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted