1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a parachute system/device

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    I am trying to build a system to activate a servo at a unspecified point in time when a machine and remote looses their signal between another. When the signal is lost between the two, the new system must activate a servo. We are using radio transmitters, but I can't figure out how to tackle this problem. Any assistance would be LOVED!!!

The biggest problem I am having is how to link these three things together. I was thinking about using a sensor that monitors the 2-way signal between machine and remote with a LED, then the LED turns on or maybe stops the LED when the signal is lost, then activates the actuator... i don't know...

can i build a sensor that does this?

Should I buy transmiter and put it on the plane and connect the reciever to a circuit that activates the servo? Im trying to make this happen without me doing it manually. Does this make any sense? This project uses mechanical and electrical engineering components and I design it

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I would think that a 'dead man switch' would be appropriate. Can you just dedicate one channel to a continuous broadcast that orders a relay to remain open? When the signal is lost, the relay should energize and trigger your 'chute system.

edit: I guess that I mean 'de-energize'. I was thinking of the secondary rather than primary circuit.

edit #2: I just noticed that you also have this posted in 'Mechanical Engineering', and Topher gave you a great response.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

THis will be another component I will do intensive research. A "dead-man switch" sounds like what I am looking for. I think we have an extra channel that sends a relay. I am curious, does the "dead man's switch" do all of this or do I need multiple connections and receivers/transmitters... lol basically, what hardware do I need to bring this to life...

I FORGOT TO THANK YOU!!! BECAUSE THIS HELP IS SINCERELY APPRECIATED

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A dead man switch simply means any type of device that requires some sort of effort (be it mechanical or electric or other) to STOP an action (such as closing a circuit) from occuring. If the (mechanical or electric or other) effort ceases, the switch closes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook