1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperately need suggestions for my IB physics extended essay!

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Basically the extended essay is a piece of independent research done during the course of IB. I'm planning to do a physics EE, but now it's mid April and I still failed to find a simple yet specific topic to do reasearch on. My last few ideas were too complex or not specific enough.

My imagination's failing me at this point, and I'm starting to fall behind for my EE. Can anyone suggest a topic which I can complete with a simple experiment, yet is not too hard for a high school student to complete in 5 months?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2
    Do no do it in anything related to science! This is my personal recommendation as I know that the science correctors tend to have a very high opinion of themselves and will expect a rigorous work which a High School student cannot hope to achieve. I'd say go with something that touches actuality or maybe an interesting event in history. Those always seem to score well. 5 months? The extended essay is only 4000 words, it's perfectly writable within a week!

4. Apr 21, 2007 #3
    I've already chosen so it's too late, can someone please provide a direct answer to this question?

5. Apr 21, 2007 #4
    What do you mean by physics EE? Electrical engineering?

6. Apr 22, 2007 #5
    Extended essay, and beg your coordinator to change. Science ones get low marks and are next to impossible to do when compared to the other subjects, do it in philosophy about science if you must but avoid experiments.

7. Apr 22, 2007 #6
    Ok just realized you meant extended essay by EE. Well, are you looking for something descriptive or experimental? There's obviously not allot of place for theoretical discussion since the mathematics the IB allows are very limited. I could give you an idea of something descriptive: What is string theory? You could focus on string theory, a field that tries to come up with the theory of everything by avoiding the conflicts between quantum theory and relativity. There allot of pop science book about this out there, so that's definitely feasible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?