Desperately need suggestions for my IB physics extended essay

In summary: However, it would be very theoretical and might not be interesting for someone who just wants to get a good grade. Experimental? I don't know if you're familiar with the scientific method, but an experiment would involve trying to test a theory. So, for example, you could do an experiment to see if string theory is correct.
Charonic
Basically the extended essay is a piece of independent research done during the course of IB. I'm planning to do a physics EE, but now it's mid April and I still failed to find a simple yet specific topic to do reasearch on. My last few ideas were too complex or not specific enough.

My imagination's failing me at this point, and I'm starting to fall behind for my EE. Can anyone suggest a topic which I can complete with a simple experiment, yet is not too hard for a high school student to complete in 5 months?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do no do it in anything related to science! This is my personal recommendation as I know that the science correctors tend to have a very high opinion of themselves and will expect a rigorous work which a High School student cannot hope to achieve. I'd say go with something that touches actuality or maybe an interesting event in history. Those always seem to score well. 5 months? The extended essay is only 4000 words, it's perfectly writable within a week!

I've already chosen so it's too late, can someone please provide a direct answer to this question?

What do you mean by physics EE? Electrical engineering?

Extended essay, and beg your coordinator to change. Science ones get low marks and are next to impossible to do when compared to the other subjects, do it in philosophy about science if you must but avoid experiments.

Ok just realized you meant extended essay by EE. Well, are you looking for something descriptive or experimental? There's obviously not allot of place for theoretical discussion since the mathematics the IB allows are very limited. I could give you an idea of something descriptive: What is string theory? You could focus on string theory, a field that tries to come up with the theory of everything by avoiding the conflicts between quantum theory and relativity. There allot of pop science book about this out there, so that's definitely feasible.

1. What is an IB physics extended essay?

An IB physics extended essay is a research project required for students in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program who are studying physics. It is an independent, self-directed piece of work that allows students to investigate a topic of their choice within the field of physics.

2. How long should my extended essay be?

The extended essay should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words in length. This includes the introduction, body, and conclusion.

3. How do I choose a topic for my extended essay?

You should choose a topic that you are interested in and passionate about. It should also be something that can be researched and investigated within the field of physics. It is important to consult with your IB physics teacher to ensure that your topic is appropriate and has enough depth for an extended essay.

4. Can I use personal experiments or data in my extended essay?

Yes, you can use personal experiments or data in your extended essay. However, it is important to remember that the essay should still have a strong theoretical and analytical focus. Your personal experiments or data should be used as evidence to support your analysis and conclusions.

5. Are there any specific formatting or citation requirements for the extended essay?

Yes, the extended essay should follow a specific formatting and citation style. This is typically the MLA or APA style. It is important to check with your IB physics teacher for specific requirements and guidelines.