Engineer hopeful- Does my IB Extended Essay topic matter?

In summary, if you are looking for a topic for your IB Extended Essay, you might want to consider something related to math or technology, but you don't need to focus on engineering specifically. You should also research a topic that you are passionate about, as this will show in your work. Additionally, if you are doing your EE on something you care about, you will likely be more engaged in the project and have a better chance of doing well.
Emily R.

Homework Statement

I'm currently trying to decide on a topic for my IB Extended Essay, which is essentially just a long-term essay I'll be working on for the next 8 months or so. The topic of the essay is limited to IB courses I've taken so far, in addition to a few other types of topics that are sort of interdisciplinary. I'm planning on going to college for engineering, but I'm not sure what kind yet. My first thought was to try and find a topic for my Extended Essay that might look good on a college application for an engineering major, but I'm having some trouble finding something that I think will be relevant to engineering in general while still being specific enough to score well. Should I even bother trying to do that, or just focus on trying to find a topic I enjoy?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I briefly looked into a topic on the influences of technology on society, but I wasn't sure how to narrow it down. Besides that, I could do something on math, which I'm good at, but I haven't been able to think of any math topics and I'm a bit afraid to attempt it because I've been told math Extended Essays are quite difficult to do well at. But I'm still open to considering it. Other than either of those options and IT systems, there's not really anything I can choose as a topic that's relevant to engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that the topic you pick matters much to the admissions committee. They will see your grades, test scores and your IB diploma, your application essays and your recommendations. These will form the core of their decision. I wouldn't worry too much about relating your topic to engineering. Pick something interesting to you that you are passionate about. That's not only the best way to do well, but admissions committees pick up on passion especially if it reflects a common thread in your life (i.e., if your topic dovetails with extracurricular activities, volunteer activities, coursework, etc.).

Likes Emily R.
Further, if you do your EE on something you care about, it is more likely that you will find yourself doing more "cool stuff" with it. As in, you will work harder, find more opportunities, etc.

I don't think it would matter what you did your essay on for college admissions, so long as you did it. That's the big part: you can work on a project for 8 months.

The other thing is, no one can predict how this experience will be for you. It could just be something you do because you have to, and that's it. A job done.

Or it could be something that ends up leading you to doing other related stuff, that ends up being stuff colleges care about. For e.g, maybe you like x field, and your EE leads to you getting an RA somewhere, etc.

Also, Cal Newport's book on college admissions is the best resource I've found. There's only so much you can do to prepare. At the end of the day, what matters is that you worked hard, did the best you could, and send in your applications. Whatever will happen will. It doesn't matter too much where you go to school, as long as it's not completely bad. Just work hard, find opportunities for yourself, etc.

At least, that is what I learned. I worried myself silly in the past over this.

Likes Emily R.

1. What is the importance of choosing a relevant topic for my IB Extended Essay?

Choosing a relevant topic is crucial for your IB Extended Essay because it allows you to explore a subject that you are genuinely interested in and have prior knowledge about. It also helps you to stay motivated and engaged throughout the research and writing process.

2. Will my IB Extended Essay topic affect my overall grade?

Yes, your IB Extended Essay topic can have a significant impact on your overall grade. The essay contributes to a large part of your final IB Diploma score, and a well-chosen topic that is relevant and well-researched can help you achieve a higher grade.

3. Can I choose a topic that is not related to my intended field of study in college?

Yes, you can choose a topic that is not directly related to your intended field of study in college. However, it is recommended to choose a topic that aligns with your interests and future goals as it can provide you with valuable insights and help you stand out in college applications.

4. Is it better to choose a broad or narrow topic for my IB Extended Essay?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. It ultimately depends on the research question you have chosen and the depth of analysis you can provide. A broad topic may allow you to explore a wide range of sources and perspectives, while a narrow topic may require more in-depth research and analysis.

5. How can I ensure that my IB Extended Essay topic is manageable?

To ensure that your topic is manageable, it is essential to start with a well-defined research question. You should also consider the resources available to you, the time frame you have, and the scope of your essay. It is recommended to discuss your topic with your IB coordinator or supervisor to get feedback and guidance.