What Are Some Possible Topics for an IB Physics Extended Essay?

In summary, the conversation discusses several potential topics for an essay, including the effect of rotational velocity on a ping-pong ball's horizontal travel distance, the factors affecting the drop time of a parachute, the optimal angle for a rolling ball on an inclined plane, and the impact of temperature on the efficiency of Lithium-ion batteries. The speaker suggests that the first three topics would involve analyzing kinematics problems, while the last topic would require referencing empirical data. The conversation ends with a wish for good luck in writing the essay.
Newton04
Homework Statement
I am currently doing the IBDP and have chosen physics as my EE subject. I am struggling to decide on a topic.
Relevant Equations
These are a few topics I had shortlisted, please advise if anyone of them is EE worthy:
- To what extent does the rotational velocity of a ping-pong ball affect its horizontal travel distance?
-How is the drop time of a parachute affected by variables such as mass, canopy area, size of apex vent, number or length of strings, canopy shape?
- Rolling ball down an inclined plane - At what angle will the horizontal speed of a rolling ball be the fastest?
- To what extent does temperature affect the efficiency of Lithium-ion batteries?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. It just depends what kind of essay you want to write. The first three subjects are very similar kinematics problems, so you will be referring to those formulae and parameters. The last point, the efficiency of Li-ion batteries, is perhaps more readily addressed with reference to empirical data. There will be lots of charts and tables online to help with this.
Good luck

1. What is the purpose of an IB Physics Extended Essay?

The purpose of an IB Physics Extended Essay is to allow students to investigate a topic of their interest in depth and apply their knowledge and skills in physics to conduct an independent research project.

2. How long should an IB Physics Extended Essay be?

An IB Physics Extended Essay should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words, not including diagrams, equations, and citations.

3. Can I choose any topic for my IB Physics Extended Essay?

Yes, you can choose any topic related to physics that interests you. However, it is recommended to choose a topic that has a clear research question and can be investigated using scientific methods.

4. Do I need to conduct experiments for my IB Physics Extended Essay?

Not necessarily. While conducting experiments is a common approach for IB Physics Extended Essays, you can also choose to analyze data, conduct simulations, or use other methods to answer your research question.

5. How is the IB Physics Extended Essay graded?

The IB Physics Extended Essay is graded based on a set of criteria, including the quality of the research question, the application of physics concepts and theories, the analysis and evaluation of data, and the overall presentation and organization of the essay.