Desperately needed help for organic 1

• Thread starter Gunner1412
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organic
In summary: Just try to stay calm and work through each step. It sounds like you're doing everything you can, just frustrated because you don't understand what you're doing. Thanks for trying to help!
Gunner1412

Homework Statement

Design and describe a step-by-step total synthesis, using appropriate reagents, and drawing the reactants and the products resulting from each step-by step reaction to obtain B from A. Total # of carbons must stay the same.
A is cyclopentanol, B is cyclopentane with a double bonded Oxygen where the OH used to be

Homework Equations

I don't think there's any equations really, but I can use basic Alkene and Alkyne Rxns.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told to work backwards to find a solution, and it was under acidic conditions. I tried to to use oxidation with (i)KMnO4(ii)H20/OH- but that just breaks a double bond and adds two hydroxyl groups. Apparently there's a way to go straight from A to B but its an Organic 2 reaction that I can't use. I went through all my notes and the textbook I really can't figure it out.

I'm really stressed out, I need as much help as possible :(
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Gunner1412 said:

Homework Statement

Design and describe a step-by-step total synthesis, using appropriate reagents, and drawing the reactants and the products resulting from each step-by step reaction to obtain B from A. Total # of carbons must stay the same.
A is cyclopentanol, B is cyclopentane with a double bonded Oxygen where the OH used to be

Homework Equations

I don't think there's any equations really, but I can use basic Alkene and Alkyne Rxns.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told to work backwards to find a solution, and it was under acidic conditions. I tried to to use oxidation with (i)KMnO4(ii)H20/OH- but that just breaks a double bond and adds two hydroxyl groups. Apparently there's a way to go straight from A to B but its an Organic 2 reaction that I can't use. I went through all my notes and the textbook I really can't figure it out.

I'm really stressed out, I need as much help as possible :(
Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what Organic 1 & 2 are, but it seems strange that you're not allowed a more straightforward pathway just because it's in the wrong course. Anyway, what will happen first to your alcohol under acidic conditions?

Why are you bothering thinking about alkenes? You have an alcohol and you want to transform it into a ketone. Can you think of any reactions that might do that conversion?

chemisttree said:
Why are you bothering thinking about alkenes? You have an alcohol and you want to transform it into a ketone. Can you think of any reactions that might do that conversion?

Yeah, this was what I was alluding to when I said "...it seems strange that you're not allowed a more straightforward pathway just because it's in the wrong course..." Could it be that this reaction is in the scope of the mystery Organic 2?

No, I don't think so. I think the OP just got a little confused when OP saw the phrase "...cyclopentane with a double bonded oxygen..." and immediately thought of cyclopentene... which is carbon double bonded to carbon, of course. It's a minor point of confusion but confounded OP's further analysis of the problem. Sometimes it helps to step back and take another look and try not to stress out!

Easily said, I know.

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties, reactions, and structures. It is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of life and its processes, as carbon is the key element in all living organisms.

2. Why is organic chemistry important?

Organic chemistry is important because it helps us understand the substances that make up living organisms and their interactions. It is also crucial in the development of new medicines, materials, and technologies that have a significant impact on our daily lives.

3. What are the basic concepts of organic chemistry?

The basic concepts of organic chemistry include the structure and bonding of carbon compounds, functional groups, isomerism, types of reactions, and mechanisms. These concepts are essential in understanding the behavior of organic compounds and predicting their reactions.

4. What are some common challenges in learning organic chemistry?

Some common challenges in learning organic chemistry include understanding the complex nature of carbon compounds, memorizing large amounts of information, and mastering reaction mechanisms. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

To improve your understanding of organic chemistry, it is important to practice regularly, review and understand the underlying concepts, and seek help from your professor or a tutor if needed. It may also be helpful to form study groups with peers and utilize online resources such as videos and practice problems.