Destructive and Constructive Interference for Sound Speakers

In summary: He means x1 and x2 in terms of the position of speaker 1 and speaker 2.He means x1 and x2 in terms of the position of speaker 1 and speaker 2.
alingy1

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/FiYb9OE.png
Problem b). Looking at the attached document of my teacher, the visual representation of the answer does make sense.

Homework Equations

2pi(delta(x1-x2))+delta(phase constant)
Basic interference problem in One-Dimension.

The Attempt at a Solution

After all, the two waves end up contructively interfering. However, in the picture, the phase constant of 2 is pi/2 and the phase constant of 1 is 0. My teacher uses the equation 2pi(delta(x1-x2))+delta(phase constant). However, here is what I do not understand. For delta(phase constant), she substracts as follows: phase constant of 2 (pi/2) minus phase constant of 1 (0). Inevitably, she gets a positive value for delta(phase constant).

Why is it that she can change the order of the delta? "1"-"2" vs "2"-"1"
I looked at the proof of this formula to dig up more info. For those interested, I looked up chapter 21.6 of Knight's Physics textbook. The author clearly mentions that when one chooses a particular order, he must stick to it for both delta x and delta phase constant.

I tried sticking to it. But the result gives me destructive interference!
Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can no one answer this? It's a pretty basic question.

alingy1 said:
Why is it that she can change the order of the delta? "1"-"2" vs "2"-"1"
The ##k\Delta x## is really ##kx_2 - kx_1##, which is the additional distance that wave 2 must travel. Perhaps your instructor is using ##x_1## and ##x_2## to represent the location of the speakers. That would explain why she would use ##\Delta x = x_1 - x_2##.

Make sense?

Doc Al, not really.
I got this answer from someone else:

"The problem is in how you have calculated the $$\Delta \phi_o$$ term. As you have pointed out, if you have used $$\Delta x=x_1-x_2$$ then $$\Delta \phi_o=(\phi_o)_1-(\phi_o)_2$$ and, in fact, this is true.

If you examine the picture in part (b) and say that wave #1 has a phase of zero, then wave #2 has a phase of $$-{\pi \over 2}$$. If it had a phase of $$+{\pi \over 2}$$ as you have assumed, then wave #2 would look like the graph of $$-sin(\theta)$$ when in fact it looks like $$+sin(\theta)$$.

Therefore you have:
$$\Delta \phi_o=0-\big(-{\pi \over 2}\big)={\pi \over 2}$$
Using this, the equation:
$$\Delta \phi=k(x_1-x_2)+\Delta \phi_o$$
gives constructive interference."What does he mean? y=sin(x-pi/2) at x=0 has a trough, NOT a crest as shown on the picture for speaker 2.

alingy1 said:
As you have pointed out, if you have used $$\Delta x=x_1-x_2$$ then $$\Delta \phi_o=(\phi_o)_1-(\phi_o)_2$$
No, it depends on what you mean by ##x_1## and ##x_2##. What do you think they mean?

Well, they meant the position of x1 and x2. I don't understand your question.

alingy1 said:
Well, they meant the position of x1 and x2.
The position of what?

alingy1 said:
I don't understand your question.
I think when you are clear on the meaning of x1 and x2, then the problem will be clear.

The position of the speakers no?

alingy1 said:
The position of the speakers no?
Yes and no. That's what makes this so confusing--the notation is misleading.

In the equation shown by Knight, he compares the phase of one wave (##kx_1 + \phi_1##) with that of a second wave (##kx_2 + \phi_2##). In these expressions, ##x_1## and ##x_2## do not represent the positions of the speakers; they represent the distance from the speaker to some common point of overlap where you want to find the phase difference. So ##x_1## is the distance from speaker 1 to that point; similarly, ##x_2## is the distance from speaker 2 to that point. Thus if speaker 2 is further away, ##\Delta x = x_2 - x_1## will be positive.

But now express that difference in terms of the positions of the speakers along the x-axis, where ##x_1## and ##x_2## now stand for the positions of the speakers, and you'll get ##\Delta x = x_1 - x_2## because being further away means a smaller value of x. You didn't magically change the order of subtraction, you just changed the meaning of the symbols.

What is destructive interference for sound speakers?

Destructive interference for sound speakers occurs when two sound waves with opposite phases meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of sound. This can lead to a decrease in the perceived loudness or even complete silence.

How does destructive interference affect sound quality?

Destructive interference can negatively impact sound quality by causing distortions, muddiness, and unevenness in the sound. This can be especially noticeable in recordings or live performances with multiple sound sources.

What is constructive interference for sound speakers?

Constructive interference for sound speakers occurs when two sound waves with the same phase meet and amplify each other, resulting in an increase in the overall amplitude of sound. This can lead to a louder and more powerful sound.

How does constructive interference improve sound quality?

Constructive interference can improve sound quality by creating a fuller and more balanced sound. It can also enhance the perception of depth and richness in the sound.

How can destructive and constructive interference be controlled in sound systems?

Destructive and constructive interference can be controlled in sound systems by properly positioning and angling the speakers, using sound-absorbing materials to reduce reflections, and using signal processing techniques such as equalization and delay.