1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on destructive and constructive interference

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two speakers A and B are 3.50m apart and each one is emitting a frequency of 444Hz. However because of signal delays, speaker A is 1/4 of a period ahead of B. Find all points relative to the centerline between A and B where there is constructive interference. Include angles on both sides of centerline, speed of sound is 340m/s

2. Relevant equations
    dsinθ = (m+?)λ

d = 3.5m
    λ = v/f
    3. The attempt at a solution

I know there is a need to compensate for the initial 1/4 phase difference as the usual equation assumes both sources are in phase. I just don't know how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What is the relation between position and phase?

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3
    Is it that any position where 2 waves are half a wavelength out of phase cancel while 2 that are in phase constructively interfere?

5. Nov 17, 2016 #4

DrClaude

I mean for a single wave.

6. Nov 18, 2016 #5
    I apologize but I'm not quite sure of what you're getting at, could you elaborate?

7. Nov 18, 2016 #6

DrClaude

You said you don't know how to compensate for the phase difference. I'm trying to get you to see the relation between the phase difference and position.

8. Nov 18, 2016 #7
    I still can't quite get what you mean by position, apologies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted