Two Speaker Destructive Interference

In summary, the problem involves two speakers emitting a frequency of 444 Hz with a one-fourth period delay between them, causing destructive interference at certain angles. The path difference for angles closer to speaker A is dsin(Θ) = (m+1/4)λ while for angles closer to B it is dsin(Θ) = (m + 3/4)λ. This is due to the longer path from speaker B to points closer to A, causing it to be further behind and requiring an additional 1/4 wavelength to be completely out of phase. The opposite is true for points closer to B.
Kharrid
Homework Statement
Two speakers A and B are 3.50 m apart, and each one is emitting a frequency of 444 Hz. However, because of signal delays in the cables, speaker A is one-fourth of a period ahead of speaker B. For points far from the speakers, find all the angles relative to the centerline at which the sound from these speakers cancels. Include angles on both sides of the centerline. The speed of sound is 340 m/s.
Relevant Equations
v = f(lambda)
dsin(theta) = (m+ 1/2)(lambda)
I already have the solution in front of me, I am wondering why there is a difference in the formula for path difference. I've attached the problem as well to show the Figure.

What I am struggling to grasp is why the path difference for the angles closer to A is dsin(Θ) = (m+1/4)λ while the path difference for the angles closer to B are dsin(Θ) = (m + 3/4)λ. I know that the phase shift for destructive interference has to be 1/2, but why does it change differently closer to the source with the phase shift and differently farther away from it?

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.37.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.37.18 PM.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
Kharrid said:
Homework Statement:: Two speakers A and B are 3.50 m apart, and each one is emitting a frequency of 444 Hz. However, because of signal delays in the cables, speaker A is one-fourth of a period ahead of speaker B. For points far from the speakers, find all the angles relative to the centerline at which the sound from these speakers cancels. Include angles on both sides of the centerline. The speed of sound is 340 m/s.
Homework Equations:: v = f(lambda)
dsin(theta) = (m+ 1/2)(lambda)

I already have the solution in front of me, I am wondering why there is a difference in the formula for path difference. I've attached the problem as well to show the Figure.

What I am struggling to grasp is why the path difference for the angles closer to A is dsin(Θ) = (m+1/4)λ while the path difference for the angles closer to B are dsin(Θ) = (m + 3/4)λ. I know that the phase shift for destructive interference has to be 1/2, but why does it change differently closer to the source with the phase shift and differently farther away from it?

Any help is appreciated!
Closer to A, the path from B is longer, so it puts B further behind. It was already 1/4 behind, so be completely out of phase it needs to be another 1/4 behind, plus whole wavelengths.
Closer to B, the path from A is longer, helping B catch up. To be completely out of phase, the path now needs to be 3/4 longer, etc.

What is Two Speaker Destructive Interference?

Two Speaker Destructive Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude are out of phase with each other. This means that while one wave is at its peak, the other is at its trough, resulting in cancellation of the sound waves and a decrease in overall volume.

How does Two Speaker Destructive Interference happen?

Two Speaker Destructive Interference occurs when sound waves from two sources overlap and are out of phase with each other. This can happen when the distance between the speakers is equal to a multiple of half the wavelength of the sound waves, causing them to cancel each other out.

What are the effects of Two Speaker Destructive Interference?

The main effect of Two Speaker Destructive Interference is a decrease in overall volume. This can also result in a distorted or muffled sound, as certain frequencies may be completely cancelled out. Additionally, it can create dead spots or areas with no sound in a room where the interference is happening.

How can Two Speaker Destructive Interference be prevented or reduced?

There are a few ways to prevent or reduce Two Speaker Destructive Interference. One way is to adjust the positioning of the speakers so that they are not facing each other directly and are not equidistant from the listener. Another way is to use sound-absorbing materials in the room to decrease the level of reflected sound waves. Using speakers with different frequencies or adjusting the volume levels can also help reduce interference.

Is Two Speaker Destructive Interference always a negative thing?

No, Two Speaker Destructive Interference can also be intentionally used in certain situations. For example, noise-cancelling headphones use this principle to cancel out external noise. It can also be used in sound engineering to create certain effects or to reduce unwanted noise. However, in most cases, it is considered a negative thing as it can lead to a decrease in sound quality and volume.