Detecting changes in incidence rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to detect an increase in the rate of rare events over time and the desire to use a solid statistical tool for analysis. The use of moving averages and linear regression models are suggested, as well as the combined approach of Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average (ARIMA). The importance of controlling for confounding factors and minimizing beta error is also mentioned. Additionally, the possibility of using a control chart for analysis is suggested.
Gerenuk
Hi!
I have rare events over time (about 200 incidences) and I'd like to detect when the time rate of these increase, i.e. at which point more events per time start to occur.
Do you know a solid statistical tool to analyze that? I'd also like to know if the change is real evidence or just random.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gerenuk said:
Hi!
I have rare events over time (about 200 incidences) and I'd like to detect when the time rate of these increase, i.e. at which point more events per time start to occur.
Do you know a solid statistical tool to analyze that? I'd also like to know if the change is real evidence or just random.

It's somewhat dependent on the temporal profile: isolated random spikes, periodic spikes or waves, or sustained trends. Generally, various applications of moving averages are often used. These are fairly robust and can be adapted to different profiles. You can look up "Moving Average" on the Wiki for a fairly good general discussion. Linear regression models also work well for more sustained trends where you want to test for trends greater or less than 0.

The following paper shows an application of a combined approach called Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average (ARIMA) for dengue fever.

http://www.ajtmh.org/content/79/6/933.full.pdf

EDIT: As an aside, sometimes just inspection is more appropriate than statistical testing if public safety is an issue. You really want to minimize beta error (missing a trend that actually exists). You also will need to control for confounding factors. Differences in reporting and/or detection over time is often the case.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Thanks a lot! I hope I can make use of the information.

My data is most likely something like a constant rate up to some time and then an increase in frequency. The problem is that it is only about 200 events in total.

For regression I'm afraid it won't tell me if the trend is with the confidence interval. But I need to read more about it...

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I would recommend using a statistical tool called a Poisson regression model to analyze your data. This type of model is commonly used for rare events and can help identify changes in incidence rates over time.

To determine if the change in incidence rate is significant, you can also perform a hypothesis test using the model results. This will help determine if the change is likely due to random chance or if there is a real underlying trend.

It is also important to consider potential confounding factors that may be influencing the incidence rates, such as changes in population size or demographics. These should be taken into account in your analysis to ensure accurate results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

What is the definition of incidence rate?

The incidence rate is the measure of the number of new cases of a disease or health condition that occur within a specific period of time in a given population.

How is incidence rate calculated?

The incidence rate is calculated by dividing the number of new cases of a disease by the total population at risk during a specific time period, and then multiplying by a multiplier (usually 100,000) to produce a rate per 100,000 people.

What factors can affect the incidence rate?

The incidence rate can be affected by a variety of factors, including changes in population demographics, access to healthcare, environmental factors, and changes in diagnostic criteria.

Why is it important to detect changes in incidence rate?

Detecting changes in incidence rate can help identify trends and patterns in the occurrence of a disease, which can lead to interventions and preventative measures to reduce the burden of the disease on the population.

What are some methods used to detect changes in incidence rate?

Some common methods used to detect changes in incidence rate include surveillance systems, statistical analysis, and trend analysis. These methods can help identify sudden or gradual changes in the incidence rate and determine if they are statistically significant.