Detecting Early Signs of Sleep: What to Look For?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter taylaron
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sleep
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
taylaron
Gold Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
1
Hi PF, I need some help. I'm studying to be an electrical engineer and I'm trying to make a cheap, non-invasive device that can detect when a person is starting to fall asleep. The device should be able to work on any person and perform a task before they can fall asleep.

*Can anyone tell me what happens physiologically when a person starts to loose consciousness?

As a bonus, it would be extra helpful if you know a way to easily and cheaply detect it.

What I know:
rapid eye movment- unusable beacuse the person is too far into sleep
slowing heart rate- differs from person to person and is dependent on prior physical activity. unreliable?
brain waves change- too invasive to detect and costly.
Any more?
Thoughts?

Much thanks,
Taylaron.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Bueller? ... Bueller?... Bueller? ...

Does anyone have a thought on detecting the first and second stage of NREM sleep?

Much thanks,
-Tay