1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant of linear transformations

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    I thought this problem was pretty straightforward, but I can't seem to match the answers in the back of the book.

The problem is: Find the determinant of the following linear transformation.

T(v) = <1, 2, 3> x v (where the x means cross product)

from the plane V given by x + 2y + 3z = 0

So I find the basis vectors

<-2, 1, 0> and <-3, 0, 1>

And I perform the transformation by

T( <-2, 1, 0>) = <-3, 6, 5>
    T(<-3, 0, 1>) = < 2, 8, 6>

And so I get the 2 column vectors to be

| -3 2 |
    | 6 8 |
    | 5 6 |

I know this is so off, but what am I doing wrong exactly?

I can get the others but this one is giving me fits and I know it has to be so simple......

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2
    Let u = <-2, 1, 0> and w = <-3, 0, 1>

I haven't checked your calculations, so I'm assuming they're correct.

The matrix representation you have for T is incorrect. First, you need to order your basis. Your basis will either be {u,w} or {w,u}. Let's say you choose the first ordered basis.

What you did was say that T(u) = < -3, 6, 5> and so <-3, 6, 5> will be a column vector in the matrix. This is incorrect. You have to express <-3, 6, 5> as a linear combination of the basis vectors. So, T(u) = <-3, 6, 5> = a*u + b*w, where a and b are some scalars. Then <a,b> will be the first column vector for your matrix representation. Do the same thing with T(w) for some scalars c and d and so <c,d> will be your second column vector for the matrix, then just calculate the determinant.

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3
    I see what you're saying. I had a brain fart. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook