Determination of an Acid (Monoprotic) by Titration Lab

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Grant
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
I tried looking for my unknown (209.70 g/mol) online and couldn't find it. The closest I found were H4O7V2(217.907 g/mol) and HCl2I(198.819 g/mol), but I know I am correct to a 2.7% accuracy. What other lists can I use to solve this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Plenty of organics that could fit. But i you will use some kind of database you can expect hundreds of hits, so it won't help much. If you are not given a short list to choose from or if you have no other information trying to determine the acid identity just from the molar mass is a waste of time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Grant
Grant,
Do you have more given information to use? Maybe melting point of the sample, or some other qualitative tests? Is your unknown acid supposed to be inorganic, or organic? Have you just ONE acid in the sample, or more than one?