1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of lattice energy of an ionic compound

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    Hi,

In my book it says that it is difficult to determine the lattice energy of NaCl so they use the Haber cycle which applies Hess' law.
    Lattice is the energy change when a solid ionic substance separates into ions in gas phase.

We could simply increase tempetrature untill NaCl breaks down into ions & then calculate the heat that has been absorbed. So why do they say that it is difficult to determine the lattice?
    Is it because we must achieve very high temperatures to melt salt?

Thank you for helping me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2
    The direct measurement of lattice energy is not possible as prescribed by your method because it is difficult to keep the oppositely charged gaseous ions from clumping together for a stretch of time. As they clump, they release energy and now even more energy has to be supplied to break it and thus the final value wouldn't be accurate.

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3
    Thank you my man :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted