Determination of order of reaction from ln() graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the order of a reactant in a chemical reaction. The usual method involves plotting ln([]) over time, but there is a faster way by converting data points to [] and normal rate and comparing them to see the influence of the reactant. The slope of the plotted figures can indicate the reaction rate. The figures y=A^t and y=ln(A^t) have different shapes. Additionally, there is a direct relationship between time and concentration in reactions with orders of 0, 1, or 2.
alingy1
I have to say if each reactant is first, second or zeroth order.

Now, I know that usually, we have plots of ln([]) over time. But my teacher wants to trick me.

Here is how I do this:
Take two data points: convert them to [ ] and normal rate (remove the ln() function).
Compare the two data points to see influence of [].

Is there a faster way?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 12.26.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 12.26.59 PM.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
Is there a faster way?

When you plot like that, what does the slope of these figures say about the reaction rate?
What does a figure of y=A^t look like, what does y=ln(A^t) look like?

oh yes, and note that there is a direct relationship between time and concentration, which is known from the exact solution over time for the concentration when the reaction order is 0,1, or 2.

1. What is the purpose of using ln() graphs in determining the order of reaction?

The purpose of using ln() graphs in determining the order of reaction is to transform the data into a linear form. This allows for easier visualization and calculation of the reaction order.

2. How do you plot an ln() graph for a reaction?

To plot an ln() graph for a reaction, you need to take the natural logarithm of the initial concentration of the reactant and plot it against time. The resulting graph will have a linear relationship if the reaction follows first or second order kinetics.

3. What does the slope of an ln() graph represent?

The slope of an ln() graph represents the reaction order. For a first order reaction, the slope will be negative and equal to the rate constant. For a second order reaction, the slope will be positive and equal to the rate constant divided by the initial concentration.

4. Can you determine the order of reaction from a single ln() graph?

No, in most cases, multiple ln() graphs are needed to determine the order of reaction. This is because the slope of the graph can be affected by factors such as experimental error and the accuracy of the data.

5. What are the limitations of using ln() graphs to determine the order of reaction?

The limitations of using ln() graphs to determine the order of reaction include the assumption that the reaction is following first or second order kinetics, the need for accurate and precise data, and the possibility of experimental error affecting the results.