Determination of order of reaction from ln() graphs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
alingy1
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
I have to say if each reactant is first, second or zeroth order.

Now, I know that usually, we have plots of ln([]) over time. But my teacher wants to trick me.

Here is how I do this:
Take two data points: convert them to [ ] and normal rate (remove the ln() function).
Compare the two data points to see influence of [].

Is there a faster way?
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 12.26.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 12.26.59 PM.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 623
Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
Is there a faster way?

When you plot like that, what does the slope of these figures say about the reaction rate?
What does a figure of y=A^t look like, what does y=ln(A^t) look like?
 
oh yes, and note that there is a direct relationship between time and concentration, which is known from the exact solution over time for the concentration when the reaction order is 0,1, or 2.