Determination of photoelectron counts from the ARPES signal

In summary, the photoelectron counts or count rate in ScientaOmicron Hemispherical electron energy analyzers are determined by the photoelectrons hitting the phosphor screen and being amplified by the MCP. The resulting scintillations are then imaged by the CCD and counted using various algorithms in either pulse counting mode or ADC mode. The details of how the CCD output signal is converted into photoelectron counts in the ADC mode are not explained in detail in the Scienta technical manual. Additionally, the data acquisition software includes a 'multiple counting factor' during photoelectron counts determination, which is a technical calibration that can be obtained directly from Scienta. This calibration is not typically used for relative signal intensity measurements, but may be necessary for
Swapnil Patil
Hi,

I am keen to know how the photoelectron counts (or count rate) is determined from the measured ARPES signal in the detectors used by ScientaOmicron Hemispherical electron energy analyzers? These detectors consist of Micrchannel Plates (MCP)- Phosphor screen (PS)- CCD Camera setup. The photoelectrons hitting the PS after getting amplified by the MCP, create scintillations which are then imaged by the CCD and then 'counted' by various algorithms within the pulse counting mode or the ADC mode. The ADC mode is the most commonly used mode in Scienta analyzers. I am interested in knowing the details of how the CCD output signal is finally converted into photoelectron counts in both the modes, especially the ADC mode, since the Scienta technical manual is not at all detailed in this regard.

In this context the Scienta data acquisition software defines something known as 'multiple counting factor' during photoelectron counts determination. What is this factor? What does it do?

I would be glad if someone could answer me.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,
Swapnil

Physics news on Phys.org
Swapnil Patil said:
Hi,

I am keen to know how the photoelectron counts (or count rate) is determined from the measured ARPES signal in the detectors used by ScientaOmicron Hemispherical electron energy analyzers? These detectors consist of Micrchannel Plates (MCP)- Phosphor screen (PS)- CCD Camera setup. The photoelectrons hitting the PS after getting amplified by the MCP, create scintillations which are then imaged by the CCD and then 'counted' by various algorithms within the pulse counting mode or the ADC mode. The ADC mode is the most commonly used mode in Scienta analyzers. I am interested in knowing the details of how the CCD output signal is finally converted into photoelectron counts in both the modes, especially the ADC mode, since the Scienta technical manual is not at all detailed in this regard.

In this context the Scienta data acquisition software defines something known as 'multiple counting factor' during photoelectron counts determination. What is this factor? What does it do?

I would be glad if someone could answer me.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,
Swapnil

This is a technical calibration that you need to find out directly from Scienta. Unless you are adapt at dismantling the housing that contains the phosphor screen and the CCD camera (not recommended) and do your own calibration of the screen intensity, there is no way to find out how this is calibrated.

This aspect is not something that one typically use the analyzer for. As long as the response is flat across the entire viewing screen, all one cares about are the relative signal intensity, rather than an absolute signal. Is it why, I believe, Scienta and most vendors of such devices do not typically include information on such calibration. But if you are thinking of using this as a quantum efficiency measurement device (and a very expensive one too for such a simple measurement) then my only suggestion is to contact Scienta and ask.

Zz.

What is ARPES?

ARPES stands for Angle-Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy. It is a technique used to study the electronic structure of materials by measuring the energy and momentum of photoelectrons emitted from the material's surface.

Why is determining photoelectron counts important?

Determining the number of photoelectrons emitted from a material provides information about the energy and momentum of the electrons, which can help scientists understand the electronic properties of the material. This is important for studying the behavior of materials in various applications.

How is the number of photoelectron counts determined from the ARPES signal?

The number of photoelectrons is determined by analyzing the intensity of the ARPES signal at different energies and momenta. By comparing the signal to a reference spectrum, the number of photoelectrons can be calculated using a mathematical formula.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining photoelectron counts?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of determining photoelectron counts from the ARPES signal include the energy and intensity of the incident photons, the surface condition of the material, and the angle of incidence of the photons.

Can the number of photoelectron counts be used to determine the band structure of a material?

Yes, the number of photoelectron counts can be used to determine the band structure of a material. By analyzing the energy and momentum of the photoelectrons, scientists can map out the band structure and gain insights into the electronic properties of the material.

Back