1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Convergence/Divergence of Sequence (n^2/(2n+1) - (n^2/2n-1)

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the convergence or divergence of the sequence with the given [itex]a_n[/itex] . If it converges, find the limit.

[itex]\displaystyle a_n = \frac{n^2}{(2n+1)} - \frac{n^2}{(2n-1)} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not confident enough with sequence and series to know that I have done this correctly so I am hoping someone can let me know if this is correct and if not, what it is that I am doing incorrectly. I also thought about trying to determine whether or not the sequence is monotonic and whether it has an upper and/or lower bound but wasn't sure if this was necessary.

[itex]\displaystyle a_n = \frac{n^2}{(2n+1)} - \frac{n^2}{(2n-1)} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle a_n = \frac{n}{(2+\frac{1}{n})} - \frac{n}{(2-\frac{1}{n})} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n}{(2+\frac{1}{n})} - \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n}{(2-\frac{1}{n})}
    = \displaystyle\frac{\infty}{2} - \displaystyle\frac{\infty}{2} : Divergent[/itex]

Alternatively, I noticed if I factored out an n^2 from the top and bottom, and took the limit I would be left with:

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \displaystyle \frac{1}{(\frac{2}{n}+\frac{1}{n^2})} - \displaystyle \frac{1}{(\frac{2}{n}-\frac{1}{n^2})} = \frac{1}{0} - \frac{1}{0} : Divergent[/itex]

However, neither of these approaches seems correct to me.

Thanks for your help and feedback!

Regards,
    AP

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both of these answers/appproaches are wrong. Before even starting you should re-write ##a_n## in a simpler form. Start by re-writing
    [tex] \frac{1}{2n+1}-\frac{1}{2n-1}[/tex]

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would factor out the n^2, and then simplify the difference of fractions so that they have the same denominator. If that fraction falls to zero more slowly than 1/n^2, then the sequence is divergent. If it isn't divergent, you could use the ratio test to check for convergence.

5. Oct 18, 2014 #4
    Thanks for your help, Ray. Are you suggesting that I compare [itex]a_n[/itex] with a simpler sequence [itex] b_n [/itex] such as the one you responded with? Sorry for the confusion, I am still learning these approaches/techniques.

6. Oct 18, 2014 #5
    I had originally typed out an entire post but it got accidentally deleted so I am just skipping straight to the end. I let f(n)=a_n and substituted for f(x). Combined rational expressions and reduced it to a function of like denominator. Not entirely sure if this is correct either.

[itex] \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{x^2(2x-1) - x^2(2x+1)}{(2x+1)(2x-1)} = \frac{2x^3-x^2-2x^3-x^2}{4x^2-1} = \frac{-2x^2}{4x^2-1} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x) = \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \displaystyle \frac{-2x^2}{(4x^2-1)} = -\frac{1}{2} [/itex] therefore [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = -\frac{1}{2} :Converges [/itex]

We can take L'Hopitals Rule twice and arrive at -1/2 as well.

7. Oct 18, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I said exactly what I think you should do---re-write ##a_n##. Don't compare, don't do anything else; just re-write.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted