Determine if a sequence {an} is monotonic, bounded, convergent

In summary, we discussed two sequences and determined whether they are monotonic, bounded, and convergent. The first sequence, {an}=(sqrt(n))/1000, is monotonic as it increases as n increases, and it is unbounded since the limit tends to infinity. The second sequence, {an}=(-2n^2)/((4n^2)-1), is bounded and converges to a limit of -1/2. We used the trick of dividing up and down by the highest power to simplify the second sequence.
sara_87
Determine whether the sequence {an} defined below is
(a) monotonic
(b) bounded
(c) convergent and if so determine the limit.

(1) {an}=(sqrt(n))/1000
a) it is monotonic as the sequence increase as n increases.
b) it's not bounded (but I'm not sure why)
c) divergent since limit doesn't exit (tends to infinity)
is this correct?
(2) {an}=(-2n^2)/((4n^2)-1)
i don't know how to answer parts (a) (b) and (c) to this one can someone help me please.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
1) a) Correct.

b) A sequence is bounded if |a_n| is less than some real number M, for all values of n. Does this help? Is there such a number M in this case?

c) Correct. Also, an unbounded monotonic increasing sequence necessarily diverges to positive infinity. It may be a good exercise to prove why.

2) a) Trick is to subtract a half and then add it again, like this;

[tex]a_n = - \left( \frac{2n^2}{4n^2 -1} \right) = - \left( \frac{2n^2 - \frac{1}{2} }{4n^2 -1} + \frac{1}{2(4n^2-1)}\right) = - \left ( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2(4n^2-1)}\right)[/tex].

Now use partial fractions, it should be much easier then =]

PS - I noticed its been about one and a half days since you've posted this, and yet received no help. This is probably because you placed this in the wrong forum - Put it in the Homework Help forums (Calculus and Beyond) next time and you should get help much faster.

A common trick with powers in a fraction is to divide up and down by the highest power, like this:
[tex]a_n = -\frac{\frac{2 n^2}{n^2}}{\frac{4 n^2 - 1}{n^2}} = -\frac 2 {4 - \frac 1 {n^2}}[/tex]​
Now it's easy to see what the limit is.

Shoot me that is a much easier way :(

1. What does it mean for a sequence to be monotonic?

A sequence is considered monotonic if its terms either consistently increase (monotone increasing) or consistently decrease (monotone decreasing) as the sequence progresses.

2. How can I determine if a sequence is monotonic?

To determine if a sequence is monotonic, you can look at the sign of the difference between each consecutive term. If the difference is always positive (or always negative), the sequence is monotone increasing (or monotone decreasing). You can also graph the sequence and see if it forms a straight line.

3. What does it mean for a sequence to be bounded?

A sequence is considered bounded if its terms are all within a specific range or interval. This means that no matter how far the sequence progresses, its terms will never exceed a certain value.

4. How can I determine if a sequence is bounded?

To determine if a sequence is bounded, you can look at the values of its terms and see if they are all within a specific range or if they approach a specific limit. You can also graph the sequence and see if it remains within a certain range.

5. What does it mean for a sequence to be convergent?

A sequence is considered convergent if its terms approach a specific limit or value as the sequence progresses. This means that as the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to the limit without ever reaching it.