Determine if integral is convergent or divergent?

In summary: But, it's a matter of taste, and I suppose there may be cases where one may be easier than the other.In summary, The limit comparison test can be used for improper integrals as well, but it may be easier to use a different technique, such as the Integral Limit Comparison Test. The idea is to find an integral that you know converges/diverges on the interval and use that as a comparison. Both methods ultimately yield the same result.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

I attached the problem to this post.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if I could use the limit comparison test for this integral. My professor taught us this test that can be used for series but could it work for improper integrals as well?

So what I would do is an = 1/(2ex-x) and bn = 1/2ex.

Then take the limit approaching infinity of an/bn which yields 1. Since bn converges so does an. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 717
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand how you're applying the limit comparison test from series to integrals. However, my instinct is that you are making a jump that can't be made. You might check this yourself by seeing if you can find a counterexample to your method.

However, there does exist a technique that is similar to the limit comparison test. The idea is to find an integral that you know converges/diverges on the interval and use that. So if we had 1/x^2 + 1, we know that on [0,infinity) this integral is < the integral of 1/x^2 on [0,infinity) and therefore converges since the integral of 1/x^2 converges (why? this one is easily computed manually). Can you find such a function here?

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

I attached the problem to this post.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if I could use the limit comparison test for this integral. My professor taught us this test that can be used for series but could it work for improper integrals as well?

So what I would do is an = 1/(2ex-x) and bn = 1/2ex.

Then take the limit approaching infinity of an/bn which yields 1. Since bn converges so does an. Does that make sense?
attachment.php?attachmentid=45246&d=1332127986.png

This is the equivalent comparison test for integrals.

If [itex]\displaystyle |g(x)|\ge|f(x)|\text{ for all }x \ge a\,,[/itex] and if [itex]\displaystyle \int_a^\infty\ |g(x)|\ dx[/itex] converges, then so does [itex]\displaystyle \int_a^\infty\ |f(x)|\ dx[/itex] converge.

zooxanthellae said:
I don't quite understand how you're applying the limit comparison test from series to integrals. However, my instinct is that you are making a jump that can't be made. You might check this yourself by seeing if you can find a counterexample to your method.

However, there does exist a technique that is similar to the limit comparison test. The idea is to find an integral that you know converges/diverges on the interval and use that. So if we had 1/x^2 + 1, we know that on [0,infinity) this integral is < the integral of 1/x^2 on [0,infinity) and therefore converges since the integral of 1/x^2 converges (why? this one is easily computed manually). Can you find such a function here?

Yup I can use 1/e^x but why wouldn't the limit comparison test work for integrals as well?

theBEAST said:
Yup I can use 1/e^x but why wouldn't the limit comparison test work for integrals as well?

I initially interpreted your post as using the a_n, a_n+1 limit test. What you've actually described is very close to what SammyS has posted, which is what the Integral Limit Comparison Test usually describes. I'm reasonably sure that your method works, but the method SammyS has posted is, I think, usually easier.

1) What is the definition of a convergent integral?

A convergent integral is one in which the limit of the integral as the upper and lower bounds approach infinity or negative infinity exists and is a finite value. This means that the area under the curve is finite and the integral can be evaluated.

2) How do you determine if an integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an integral is convergent or divergent, you need to evaluate the integral using any available methods, such as integration by parts or substitution. If the integral can be evaluated and the limit is finite, then it is convergent. If the integral cannot be evaluated or the limit is infinite, then it is divergent.

3) Can an integral be both convergent and divergent?

No, an integral can only be either convergent or divergent. If the limit of the integral exists and is finite, then it is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then it is divergent.

4) What is the difference between a convergent and divergent integral?

The main difference between a convergent and divergent integral is the behavior of the limit of the integral as the upper and lower bounds approach infinity or negative infinity. In a convergent integral, the limit exists and is finite, indicating that the area under the curve is finite. In a divergent integral, the limit does not exist or is infinite, indicating that the area under the curve is infinite.

5) Can the convergence or divergence of an integral be affected by the bounds of integration?

Yes, the bounds of integration can affect the convergence or divergence of an integral. For example, if the bounds are changed to approach infinity faster than the original bounds, the integral may become divergent. On the other hand, if the bounds are changed to approach infinity slower than the original bounds, the integral may become convergent.