Did I apply this limit comparison test correctly?

In summary: This is not true, and is a common mistake. I suggest that you go back and try to correct those mistakes.
Randall

Homework Statement

Use the limit comparison test to show the series converges or diverges: Sum from n=1 to infinity of ((5n^3)+1)/((2^n)((n^3)+n+1))

Homework Equations

suppose Sum An and Sum Bn are two positive series. Let lim as n goes to infinity of An/Bn = c: 1) if 0<c<inifinity then either both converge or both diverge; 2) if c=0 and Sum Bn converges, so does Sum An; 3) if c=infinity and Sum Bn diverges, so does Sum An

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached - series An is very complex. I'm not sure it goes to infinity like I assumed, nor am I sure that I picked an appropriate Bn equation. Please help thanks.

Attachments

• limit_comparison_test_2.jpg
    limit_comparison_test_2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Randall said:

Homework Statement

Use the limit comparison test to show the series converges or diverges: Sum from n=1 to infinity of ((5n^3)+1)/((2^n)((n^3)+n+1))

Homework Equations

suppose Sum An and Sum Bn are two positive series. Let lim as n goes to infinity of An/Bn = c: 1) if 0<c<inifinity then either both converge or both diverge; 2) if c=0 and Sum Bn converges, so does Sum An; 3) if c=infinity and Sum Bn diverges, so does Sum An

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached - series An is very complex. I'm not sure it goes to infinity like I assumed, nor am I sure that I picked an appropriate Bn equation. Please help thanks.

I wish you would take the trouble to type out the answer, rather than giving it in a rather messy screen shot. (For more on this issue, see the pinned posting "Guidelines for Students and Helpers", by Vela.) However, as far as I can see, what you wrote is not in any way relevant to the problem. However, I won't say more now, since I think you need to go back and think carefully about what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
I wish you would take the trouble to type out the answer, rather than giving it in a rather messy screen shot.
I agree. In addition to what Ray said, posting an image of your work rather than a typed version of your work prevents us from pointing out exactly where your mistake is.

I am closing this thread. For tips on how to use LaTeX to format mathematics expressions, see https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/.

Ray Vickson said:
(For more on this issue, see the pinned posting "Guidelines for Students and Helpers", by Vela.) However, as far as I can see, what you wrote is not in any way relevant to the problem. However, I won't say more now, since I think you need to go back and think carefully about what you are doing.
I see several mistakes in your work, one of which is saying that ∞/∞ = ∞.

1. What is the limit comparison test and how does it work?

The limit comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. It works by taking the ratio of the terms in the given series and the known series, and then taking the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is a positive number, the series will have the same convergence or divergence behavior as the known series.

2. When should I use the limit comparison test?

The limit comparison test should be used when the terms in the given series are difficult to work with, making it hard to determine the convergence or divergence using other methods such as the ratio test or the integral test. It is also useful when the series being compared to is a well-known convergent or divergent series, making it easier to determine the behavior of the given series.

3. What is the importance of choosing an appropriate series to compare to?

The choice of the series to compare to is crucial in the limit comparison test. It should be a series with terms that are similar in behavior to the terms in the given series. Choosing an inappropriate series can lead to incorrect conclusions about the convergence or divergence of the given series.

4. Can the limit comparison test be used to determine the sum of a series?

No, the limit comparison test only determines the convergence or divergence of a series. To find the sum of a series, other methods such as the geometric series test or the telescoping series test should be used.

5. Is it possible to apply the limit comparison test incorrectly?

Yes, it is possible to apply the limit comparison test incorrectly. This can happen if the series being compared to is not appropriate, or if the limit is not calculated correctly. It is important to double-check the calculations and ensure that the series being compared to is a well-known convergent or divergent series.