1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did I apply this limit comparison test correctly?

1. Jan 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the limit comparison test to show the series converges or diverges: Sum from n=1 to infinity of ((5n^3)+1)/((2^n)((n^3)+n+1))

2. Relevant equations
    suppose Sum An and Sum Bn are two positive series. Let lim as n goes to infinity of An/Bn = c: 1) if 0<c<inifinity then either both converge or both diverge; 2) if c=0 and Sum Bn converges, so does Sum An; 3) if c=infinity and Sum Bn diverges, so does Sum An

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attached - series An is very complex. I'm not sure it goes to infinity like I assumed, nor am I sure that I picked an appropriate Bn equation. Please help thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wish you would take the trouble to type out the answer, rather than giving it in a rather messy screen shot. (For more on this issue, see the pinned posting "Guidelines for Students and Helpers", by Vela.) However, as far as I can see, what you wrote is not in any way relevant to the problem. However, I won't say more now, since I think you need to go back and think carefully about what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  4. Jan 3, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree. In addition to what Ray said, posting an image of your work rather than a typed version of your work prevents us from pointing out exactly where your mistake is.

I am closing this thread. For tips on how to use LaTeX to format mathematics expressions, see https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/.

I see several mistakes in your work, one of which is saying that ∞/∞ = ∞.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook