1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit comparison test assistance needed please

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the limit comparison test to check for convergence or divergence: Sum from n=1 to infinity of ((2n)^2+5)^-3

2. Relevant equations
    let lim n to infinity of An/Bn = c
    1) if 0<c<infinity then either both converge or both diverge
    2) if c=0 and sum Bn converges, so does sum An
    3) if c=infinity and sum Bn diverges, so does sum An

3. The attempt at a solution
    see attached - I'm a little confused. It seems that it would be easy to pick a comparison series to "force" the answer that you want....

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Chosing [itex] b_n = 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{n} } [/itex] doesn't let you draw any conclusion because [itex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n [/itex] doesn't converge.

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    Doesn't it converge to 1? 1 + 0 = 1? If not, why not? And also what should I choose instead to be bn? Thanks

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Don't confuse the convergence of the sequence [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} b_n = 1 [/itex] with the convergence of the series [itex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n [/itex]. The part 2 in your statement of the limit comparison tests talks about [itex] b_n [/itex] being summable.

My guess is [itex] b_n = (\frac{1}{n^2})^{-3} [/itex].

Edit: Try [itex] b_n = (n^2)^{-3} [/itex]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. Jan 3, 2015 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks like a photo taken with i-pad - for presentation the app mentioned below is almost no extra trouble and makes easier on the eye. :oldsmile: DocScan HD

"But if you do do that, there are apps, at least one I know called DocScan HD which if you are taking these with I-pad or similar cleans them up from the hard-to-read grey-yellow."

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  7. Jan 3, 2015 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you find it very difficult to prove convergence, hedge your bets and try to test for divergence. I would compare with something like 1/n (which I hope you know is divergent.)

8. Jan 3, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed. Please stop posting messy images of your work. Most of what you posted has been crossed out, and much of the rest is difficult to read.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook