Determine output sequence given input sequence and state table

• Thread starter enmar
  • Start date

Homework Statement

For the state table shown below, show the output sequence when the input sequence is as given below. Assume the machine starts in state A.

x : 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1
z :

x>0...1
A A,1 B,0
B A,0 C,1
C D,1 A,0
D A,0 B,1

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no solution, or attempt. I just want to understand how to interpret the table, and how to determine the output as required in the problem. I have looked online and found similar looking tables, but I can't figure out how they're being interpreted. I also can't find anything in my book. Any help is much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

You know that the current state of the sequence is A because of your initial condition. You also have information regarding the next output based on the next state. For example,

X: initial 1 1 1
Z: A A A A

Those are the output states for the next three x values. You know the state following your initial is A because your table shows that if x = 1 then you have a state output of A. If you have a value of 0 then you move to state B. Repeat the same thinking as you move through the other states.

I am confused when you say
You know the state following your initial is A because your table shows that if x = 1 then you have a state output of A. If you have a value of 0 then you move to state B.

If the current state is A, and the state table shows (B,0) for x=1 in state A, how are you determining that the output is A?

Sorry about that. Can you confirm what type of machine it is?

The information given in the original post is the entirety of the problem, sadly.

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

For the state table shown below, show the output sequence when the input sequence is as given below. Assume the machine starts in state A.

x : 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1
z :

x>0...1
A A,1 B,0
B A,0 C,1
C D,1 A,0
D A,0 B,1

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no solution, or attempt. I just want to understand how to interpret the table, and how to determine the output as required in the problem. I have looked online and found similar looking tables, but I can't figure out how they're being interpreted. I also can't find anything in my book. Any help is much appreciated.

(Don't know if you still have this question a week later, but) Something like this...

Code:
Input x :           1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1
Gives Next State:   B C A ...
With Output z :     0 1 0 ...

Can you fill in the rest now?

Thanks berkeman! I understand it now. That was a lot simpler than I originally thought.